Meaty Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
Hi, i've done a search and can't find anything. I brewed a version of Ross's Summer Ale but substituted the Nelson for Citra in a direct sub. My first taste of Citra.

Tapped a keg last night after 5 days in the kegerator, it has a nice citrus twang, but immediately after that comes a strong 'meaty' taste that just overwhelms all. The hops were a new sealed kilo packet that had been stored in my freezer and looked and smelt good.

The us05 was pitched hot at 28C as that was all i could get the beer down to with my immersion chiller. The fermenter was in an airconditioned room though and would have dropped overnight and sat in the low 20's somewhere. This is how i do all my beers as i can't afford ferment control and i've never had this problem before.

Is it a ferment problem? An infection? Or is it a characteristic of the hops?

I have 4 kegs of this to chew through and fear i'll need a knive and fork. :(

Cooked meat i think. I'm not much good at this type of tasting thing. i'm a basic guy.

OnlyKnowSixColoursPunkin

hmmm...raw meat, cooked meat, bacon.....pretty distinct flavours/aromas....surely you've eaten/smelt them in the past.

hmmm...raw meat, cooked meat, bacon.....pretty distinct flavours/aromas....surely you've eaten/smelt them in the past.

Is there extra points for being an asshole? :rolleyes:

The flavours in raw meat, cooked meat and bacon are very distinct, yes.

The flavour in my beer is s lot less distinct and mixed in with all the other beer flavours in a very highly hopped beer (for me) with a very strong hop.

I have noticed a meaty smell coming from spent grain a day or 2 after mashing. Perhaps there was something in your mashing process that extracted too much protein, just speculating. The other possibly I can see is the high temperature at pitching upsetting the yeast.

Greg

I have noticed a meaty smell coming from spent grain a day or 2 after mashing. Perhaps there was something in your mashing process that extracted too much protein, just speculating. The other possibly I can see is the high temperature at pitching upsetting the yeast.

Greg

My experience from pitching at a high temp (28) is a alcoholic/spirit taste. Got worse as the beer aged. Slammed em down quick once I caught on.

Thanks guys, it only sat fermenting for 7-8 days, so i don't think it's autolysis. Mashing was the same as always. It's quite pronounced but hard for me to describe as i don't have the palete or the vocabulary.

I'll sit down with a piece of paper when i have a beer this afternoon. The missus was no help, all she said was citrus.

As others have suggested look at your yeast health. You can make great wort every time but if you go ass about on the cold side its all for nothing.

I know you cant do the temp control in fridge ect ect, i think i remember a previous thread going into that subject. I am pretty sure you do large batches maybe doubles??

If you could get a half 150L plastic drum to sit your fermenter in with some water and ice bottles and a floating thermometer, then pitch some healthy yeast, i believe that could make a large difference to your beers.

The flavours in raw meat, cooked meat and bacon are very distinct, yes.

The flavour in my beer is s lot less distinct and mixed in with all the other beer flavours in a very highly hopped beer (for me) with a very strong hop.

:huh: ....who's being an "asshole"?

I'm no expert, but apologies for trying to help out by narrowing down this taste you speak of.

G'Day Punkin,

I think I have an idea of the flavour your describing, I was having a similiar problem a little while back. You can identify this "meaty" flavour vaguely in the smell and can taste it as an "aftertaste"?

I couldn't work out what it was or where it was comming from. I ruled out everything in the brewing process except in the mashing, so my guess would be that this is your problem. Coincidence or not I seemed to have fixed the problem with a good "false bottom/thermometer" in the mash tun and better sparge practices. (just my 2c)

Though I also found the "meaty" flavour would greatly diminish after 1 month + of aging the beer in a racking vessel. I was close to throwing this beer out but in the end was glad I didn't...so you may find by the time you get to keg #4, you have a better beer..?!

Cheers.

Yes, quadruple batches.

Thanks Adam, trying one now and it's definately an aftertaste. Hits as the last swallow goes down.

I really am trying to pin it down, but as i said, tween my bodgy palete and my 3rd form vocabulary i've hit a wall.

Maybe it is in the hops? I don't know..

It gives me a picture of lumps of greasy grey meat. It's not a strong taste, but as you can imagine, not one i want in my beer, so it's bringing a lot of attention to itself.

Could be that it's not as strong as it was yesterday even, it's only the third glass from the keg (that's been glycerined) so maybe it is yeast?

I wish there were more allgrain homebrewers in my circle of friends that's for sure.

Bit rough. Doubt kario was deliberately being an arsehole.

I could be wrong.

I would be inclined to relate the flavour to yeast health but try and get an expert opinion resulting from an actual tasting.. I believe you're close to MHB? and while I personally wouldn't shop there, if you have a positive relationship with the guy, I'm confident he knows enough to steer you in the right direction.

i had this same taste in a kolsch that i made a couple of months ago, first taste is nice in the mouth but the after the initial mouthful there was this cooked meat flavour in the back of the palate,
i reckon it was my yeast because it was my first liquid yeast and i stuffed it up by not stepping it up properly, it took 48 hours before it kicked in and i am sure it stressed the yeast.

the next kolsch i made the yeast was treated properly and the kolsch was great.

fergi

As I recall, the word "meaty" was thrown about a bit in the wash-up from BribieG's cold break experiment. Give that thread once over and see if you think might be related/at all relevant.

[EDIT: Gave that thread a quick peruse and it seems the word used as in "ballsy" rather than actual meat. Disregard.]

The more i drink it the more i'm thinkin an infection.

One that i've never tasted before, but still.

Tried a second keg and it's there as well.

I'm nearly four hours drive from Newcastle.

I'm nearly four hours drive from Newcastle.

I'm thinking, if he's willing, posting a bottle for detailed feedback wouldn't be too much to ask if you're a regular postal/delivery type customer.

Just a possibility.

Back