Measuring wort temperature coming out of plate chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
I use a plate chiller to get my wort down to the correct temperature by recirculating the wort into the kettle until it's about the right temperature, measuring by feel. However, this is a very inaccurate way of doing it because i'm only really guessing what temperature the wort is coming out of my plate chiller at. So do you guys have a method for making sure that the wort coming out of the chiller is at pitching temperature?

I have a mashmaster 100mm dial type thermometer attached inline on one of my silicone hoses such that I can move it anywhere I see fit in the brewery. I use cam locks on my hoses and taps so it's pretty easy.

This is the best I could find at work.

IMG_4130.jpg

Shown is copper pipe attachment (read like those ads for stupid vacuum thingos) which gets to the bottom of a normal fermenter or cube.

I seen another inline option - it was basically a square profile stainless block, with a hole drilled through the length. Ends fitted with male hose barbs and one of those stick on fermenter thermometers on the side.

It was on a you tube vid about plate chilling... No link sorry. Pretty sure I've seen one of the sponsers sell something like it.

Mick.

I use a similar setup to Parks using a stainless T but it connects to the chiller outlet via a stainless quick disconnect. That way I can remove it for cleaning.

But before that I used an infrared thermo. Mine was a good quality one that was fairly accurate but even a cheapo would at least tell you if you were under 30C. I just pointed it at the wort from the top.

You could also point it at your plate chiller or camlocks on the out side I if you only want to make sure the out temp is right.

It was probably the blichmann "thrumometer" (gag) that I saw. Definitely stocked by a sponsor.

Edit: Beaten to it by Parks and SimoB. Serves me right for taking to damn long to write a reply!

Mick.

i put a SS T-piece on the outlet of the plate chiller and stuck a dial thermometer in it... the inlet and outlet of the wort side is cam locks..

med_gallery_28051_1075_1647868.jpg

I grabbed the thrumometer as well as a few other bits and pieces I need so that's something.

Back