Measuring Volume

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm starting to design my new rig and I've recently purchased the Opentroller DX1.

One of the 'unknowns' I have is what to use to measure the volume of water in my HLT.

I was leaning towards the idea of a bubbler - as these are pretty straight forward and reasonably well researched. But then I thought about an IR distance sensor - like this:

http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R144-GP2Y0A02YK.html

I did think about ultrasonic - but from what I've read these might get too much interference from steam etc?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Hunt

From memory this has been discussed a lot on the brewtroller forum, but you could look at the basic level sensors used in washing machines, they use a tube and an air pressure sensor at the top of the tube, the more water, the higher the pressure and can be calibrated accordingly with good accuracy.

whats the problem with a good old sight glass?

The sight tube I have on my HLT is just a bit of silicone hose... it aint gunna break down

+1 on fraser_john's differential pressure sensor.

They can be had fairly cheap (~$8) from the likes of rs components. You want the lower 10kPa one, which can measure up to a metre of depth. Overkill for a homebrew sized vessel.

The other option, and I believe matho went down this route, is load sensors under your vessel to measure the mass of the water inside.

whats the problem with a good old sight glass?

The sight tube I have on my HLT is just a bit of silicone hose... it aint gunna break down

based on him looking at the Opentroller DX1, I suspect he is after an almost fully automated system, fill water in mash & hlt automatically based on level sensors and current recipe requirements.

I'll head down that track as soon as the lottery numbers come in, in the meantime, it is a bunnings water container with 1 liter marks on the side :)

Hi-tek
101491.jpg

I have a brewtroll 4.1 pro and im using the bubbler method on my HLT and Kettle.. it works pretty good.. I've even double checked putting it on my 100kg scales and checking brewtroller vol v's weight off maybe 100->200gms/mls

I also got my presure sensors from the vedor as "samples" you only pay $5 per lot but dont order to many or else you get black listed... just order two at a time.

Thanks for all your replies.
I have a sight glass at the moment - previous to that I was using a marked container but yeah I will be programming the DX1 to fill the HLT to a certain level and then start heating once it's above the element.
Those flow meter's don't like high temp water - up to 60C only. And I'll be heating the water to up to 95C.

I like the idea of the bubbler.

I'll have a think about the pro's and cons of each.

What do you guys think the pro's and cons of the bubbler and the IR distance meter?

Those flow meter's don't like high temp water - up to 60C only. And I'll be heating the water to up to 95C.
Are you going to be measuring the flow after you heat it though, or before? If its only for filling the HLT then you wouldn't be passing 95C water through them.

What do you guys think the pro's and cons of the bubbler and the IR distance meter?

Distance meter should work fine. What are you using for your HLT? Just remember that if you are using something that isn't cylidrical (eg. an old keg) then it won't just be x distance = y volume.

Are you going to be measuring the flow after you heat it though, or before? If its only for filling the HLT then you wouldn't be passing 95C water through them.

Distance meter should work fine. What are you using for your HLT? Just remember that if you are using something that isn't cylidrical (eg. an old keg) then it won't just be x distance = y volume.

If I do a mash out I'm often requiring ~95C water before the 75C ish for the fly sparge. Ah - wait - sorry - yes you're right about that. I guess I won't be passing the 95C water through them. Although I have been known to use the kettle to heat the mash out water as it's much faster, and then transfer into the HLT.

I'm using a 70L stainless stock pot for the HLT.

The DX1 has (I believe) 9 points of reference for the analogue inputs. So it doesn't have a to be a linear scale.

I can't provide much useful for homebrew sized stuff, but I know that you can encounter issues with distance related technology in the presence of steam and condensate.

I can't provide much useful for homebrew sized stuff, but I know that you can encounter issues with distance related technology in the presence of steam and condensate.

Yeah I thought about that. From what I've found out online is that it appears to really only affect ultrasonic sensors. IR distance sensors aren't so affected?

Latest posts

Back