Mead -- Oh mead what Australian Honey is any good

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H0U5ECAT said:
Take a trip out to morpeth past Newcastle. There's a honey store there that has a huge range of honey.

Grainer said:
OAKBURNER.. look at the post above yours !! LMAO
just round the corner from sunny coast :lol: :lol: :lol:

mash head said:
My inlaws who own a honey farm send their Canola honey off to maxwells to be made into mead and I always thought you needed lighter varieties but I think I am thinking more about beer making.
How would you describe canola honey? I'd imagine there must be alot around because alot of canola gets grown here. I've never seen it.

Vini2ton said:
How would you describe canola honey? I'd imagine there must be alot around because alot of canola gets grown here. I've never seen it.
Its very light, candies very quickly and if you don't get it out of the hives quickly it will candy in the frames. The eucalypt honeys taste better imo so I think its a good honey to brew with. If you have a beekeeper in your area they would be collecting it, its hard to avoid in the spring.

Sounds good. The most honey I've ever put in a 23 litre brew is a kilo. Tempted to make a braggot and that canola honey might be the go. I'll have a sniff around.

Grainer said:
OAKBURNER.. look at the post above yours !! LMAO
Ok. I shall rephrase ...... I missed your comment about "tee tree" when thinking about Teatree. Can anyone add anything further to the conversation than "great results".

OB

I cant comment on brewing with it but can say its a darker honey with strong flavours which are easily noticed when even a small amount is present amongst other honey. Not unpleasant but not the best either.

Back