Mead container colour - what is the best

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dae Tripper

Reaction score
I am going to rack my experimental mead again to it's final bottle. My question is will it be affected by sunlight, like beer, hence the dark bottles or is it ok with clear bottles?

IMG_20140826_095604.jpg

It should be O.K. in clear bottles but I only use dark bottles. Mainly because that's all I have.

Well there's no hops in there, so no isohumulones for the UV light to skunk up. That said, I always store mine out of direct light. And in glass.
Just because.

If I may ask, in what way is your mead 'experimental'?

Wouldn't go with an old plastic fruit juice bottle like in the picture; glass of some thickness will keep bugs out - plastic won't.

What you want is something that is impervious to oxygen. Mead will typically be bottle aged for months to years. Glass is good. Plastic not.

Colour of glass is less important than beer as they won't skunk. I suspect most of the preference for green glass for wine is tradition. I use clear, green, whatever colour I can get my hands on with no perceivable difference between them.

Thanks guys. I got some screw cap wine bottles I will use for the next batch I think. Already it is surprisingly nice having brewed it just before fathers day and just sent a batch off to the farther in law to try.

TimT it is experimental as it is the first mead I had ever tried, and the first home brew I had ever done. That plastic bottle was just the fermentation jug.

So is it when the light gets to the hops it goes feral?

Cool :)

I'd give it time to age. Wines tend to only really become drinkable after a couple of months as they mature and the stronger flavours that the yeast throw up mellow out. Meads can take many months or even years to age properly.

Back