Mclaren Vale Ipa - Wow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
Picked one up last night at BWS (I must admit they're improving) and wow, fruity hoppy goodness! This beer was just what I like.

Anyone pick the 3 hops they use?

Galaxy, NS and Citra.

I must admit I also like their IPA, much more than their other offerings. I would have to guess Galaxy, Citra and something else (not amarillo).

thanks Bum, NS it is.

I've only had it on tap, and I have to admit I'm not that impressed. The bitterness and hop flavour is what I'd expect from an APA, I dont think it's any more bitter or fruitier than an old school LCPA.

I was down at their McLaren Vale shop and had a couple on tap very nice.
From their drinks menu -

" VALE/IPA - India Pale Ale, 5.5% ABV, 41 IBU
An Australian interpretation of an American IPA, using a combination of hops from three countries. Galaxy from Australia, Nelson Sauvin from New Zealand and Citra from United States. Malt flavours are derived from the combination of Pale, Wheat and Crystal. Very hop forward showing strong pine and citrus notes, with stone fruit and passionfruit characters. The malt structure is beautifully matched with the dry hopping, giving this beer a refined balance."

I had this on tap at the Coopers Ale House in Adelaide a few weeks back. Loved it.

I've only had it on tap, and I have to admit I'm not that impressed. The bitterness and hop flavour is what I'd expect from an APA, I dont think it's any more bitter or fruitier than an old school LCPA.

It is an IPA, it comes in low for the style, but it is an IPA.

What you have to remember is that for every craft beer enthusiast there are 100 SuperDry drinkers.
For a Business to function they need a target audience. VALE/ALE and VALE/DRY I think are fantastic gateway beers to help herd the mainstream TED drinkers towards more flavorful beers.

They also have the VALE/DRK which I think is an excellent beer and will happily drink that all night long.
The VALE/IPA, on it's own is a great beer, and in my opinion, is the best beer on offer in the APA/IPA range that BWS and Woolies outlets.

It's no EPIC or 8Wired, but you cant walk into any BWS, Dan Murphys, or Woolworths Liquor and buy them off the shelf either.

BF

Totally agree. Ive said it before, that a lot of brewers' tastebuds become mis-calibrated with time. Brewing ever-intensifying hop beers is fun but it does take you away from what is regarded as typical of style.

If you go to the states and try the regular IPAs over there such as Lagunitas IPA aren't super hoppy.

My 2c...

It is an IPA, it comes in low for the style, but it is an IPA.

What you have to remember is that for every craft beer enthusiast there are 100 SuperDry drinkers.
For a Business to function they need a target audience. VALE/ALE and VALE/DRY I think are fantastic gateway beers to help herd the mainstream TED drinkers towards more flavorful beers.

They also have the VALE/DRK which I think is an excellent beer and will happily drink that all night long.
The VALE/IPA, on it's own is a great beer, and in my opinion, is the best beer on offer in the APA/IPA range that BWS and Woolies outlets.

It's no EPIC or 8Wired, but you cant walk into any BWS, Dan Murphys, or Woolworths Liquor and buy them off the shelf either.

BF

Yeah unfortunately I think marketing is getting in the way of accurate beer names. It's definately more like a fruity APA than a malty and bitter IPA.

Whatever it is, it's damn tasty and a good session beer :icon_drool2:

Although this newspaper is rubbish, this article points out their intentions

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/blogs/t...ay/2522069.aspx

It's not a strong IPA, designed more to appeal to what head brewer Jeff Wright calls "emerging flavour seekers" than your dedicated hopheads.

"Our IPA was brewed to offer an approachable interpretation whilst still packing a punch with flavour and maintaining that distinctive hop character," Wright says.

None of which should be taken to mean that this is a watered-down IPA.

Sure it doesn't possess the instant mouth-puckering astringency of some craft beer IPAs but I reckon that's an advantage. Those hop-heavy IPAs are great, but jeez it wears your tongue out trying to drink more than a couple.

That's where the Vale IPA wins out. It has a lower level of that piney astringency - enough to let you know it's most definitely an IPA but not so much that you have to stop at one bottle.

As a plus, it has some nice aromas of citrus, passionfruit and pine. Think of it as a sessionable IPA.

If you go to the states and try the regular IPAs over there such as Lagunitas IPA aren't super hoppy.
Nor are they dry as a chip like AIPAs are here. Comparing the Vale IPA to Lagunitas IPA is just ludicrous. In fact, even mentioning the breweries in the same context is a bit weird. With many of their beers (not including their very sessionable IPA) Lagunitas push boundaries and make commercially dangerous beers. Vale are all marketing and about tricking the lowest common denominator into thinking they aren't drinking the sort of beer they already drink. Their IPA smells lovely but the aroma is just bolted on to the standard yellow and fizzy Aussie fare.

Indian Passito Ale

passiona's back

passiona_1_.jpg

Nor are they dry as a chip like AIPAs are here. Comparing the Vale IPA to Lagunitas IPA is just ludicrous. In fact, even mentioning the breweries in the same context is a bit weird. With many of their beers (not including their very sessionable IPA) Lagunitas push boundaries and make commercially dangerous beers. Vale are all marketing and about tricking the lowest common denominator into thinking they aren't drinking the sort of beer they already drink. Their IPA smells lovely but the aroma is just bolted on to the standard yellow and fizzy Aussie fare.

From BJCP
14B. American IPA
Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, floral,
perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character derived
from American hops. Many versions are dry hopped
and can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not
required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the
background, but should be at a lower level than in English
examples. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be
detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation
character is also acceptable. Some alcohol may be noted.
Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to medium reddish
copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint.
Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may
be a bit hazy. Good head stand with white to off-white color
should persist.
Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to high, and should reflect an
American hop character with citrusy, floral, resinous, piney or
fruity aspects. Medium-high to very high hop bitterness, although
the malt backbone will support the strong hop character
and provide the best balance. Malt flavor should be low to
medium, and is generally clean and malty sweet although
some caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels
. No
diacetyl. Low fruitiness is acceptable but not required. The
bitterness may linger into the aftertaste but should not be
harsh. Medium-dry to dry finish. Some clean alcohol flavor
can be noted in stronger versions. Oak is inappropriate in this
style. May be slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit
this character.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-light to medium-bodied mouthfeel
without hop-derived astringency, although moderate to
medium-high carbonation can combine to render an overall
dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness. Some smooth
alcohol warming can and should be sensed in stronger (but
not all) versions. Body is generally less than in English counterparts.
Overall Impression: A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately
strong American pale ale.
History: An American version of the historical English style,
brewed using American ingredients and attitude.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for
single-temperature infusion mashing); American hops; American
yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally
all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation.Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate.

Dunno but your description of the Vale IPA seems to match the BJCP guidelines. I'm not saying the BJCP guidelines match the other beers you're talking about, just saying that it does appear to match the guidelines.

If anyone can find one piece of legislation that requires any brewer in this country to label/market their beer according to set of guidelines from an american homebrewing organisation (BJCP), please post it here.

Back