Mclaren Vale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
well I went off for a counter meal tonight (sisters birthday) at the vale didn't notice till the end they has a McLaren Vale Ale Pale Ale on tap, rather nice beer ( i was on carlton draught till then)

Got voted number one beer in hottest 100 beers on the craftypint website.

Was quite a controversial result at the time because many hadn't heard of the beer.

Plenty of folks (on theads here and elsewhere) suggested they had run a bit of a social media campaign getting mates to vote to get that result.

I quite like the beer myself but as another long post on the subject around the traps on AHB, question whether McLaren should have won, I think some of Stone & Wood's stuff should have taken top gong, but maybe that's just my love of hops talking.

It is a pleasant inoffensive session beer though for sure. Good one for the hot weather months and is made pretty flawlessly. Yet to drink a bad one.

Hopper.

Got voted number one beer in hottest 100 beers on the craftypint website.

Was quite a controversial result at the time because many hadn't heard of the beer.

Plenty of folks (on theads here and elsewhere) suggested they had run a bit of a social media campaign getting mates to vote to get that result.

I quite like the beer myself but as another long post on the subject around the traps on AHB, question whether McLaren should have won, I think some of Stone & Wood's stuff should have taken top gong, but maybe that's just my love of hops talking.

It is a pleasant inoffensive session beer though for sure. Good one for the hot weather months and is made pretty flawlessly. Yet to drink a bad one.

Hopper.

The hottest 100 of beers is like the hottest 100 of music - a popularity contest, not a blind judged competition.

I have no issues with media campaigns to win a popularity contest.

Golden Ale is #1 on this site according to the database. #1 in an ongoing popularity contest. Does make make it the best beer on this site? In my books, not by a very long stretch, what the voting system means is that it is the most popular, nothing more.

Best and popular are very different beasts :icon_cheers:

Shame. Only ever seen it on tap once and that's it. Would probably be a good value buy at the bottle shop.

Shame. Only ever seen it on tap once and that's it. Would probably be a good value buy at the bottle shop.

I was at the Vale Taphouse yesterday (enjoying a VALE/WIT) and was speaking to one of the guys there.
I don't think it's far off from hitting the shelves.

Funny that no one has commented on that most rare of occurrences yet - a Victorian pub selling SA beer! :lol:

[quote name='Ol'Wobbly' post='877771' date='Feb 10 2012, 12:17 PM']Funny that no one has commented on that most rare of occurrences yet - a Victorian pub selling SA beer! :lol:[/quote]

Coopers on tap or a Knappstein Reserve Lager from the fridge anyone? You'd be surprised - there's quite a few available here.

But yeah, take your point - we have so many little vic breweries popping our state's barfridges tend to get full over here.
But try finding something like a Southwark Stout anywhere and you're plain out of luck. Had one of those years ago and remember it as great but never seen it since. :(

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back