• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Mclaren Vale Ale

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

mxd

Reaction score
well I went off for a counter meal tonight (sisters birthday) at the vale didn't notice till the end they has a McLaren Vale Ale Pale Ale on tap, rather nice beer ( i was on carlton draught till then)

HoppingMad

Ein Stein
Reaction score
Got voted number one beer in hottest 100 beers on the craftypint website.

Was quite a controversial result at the time because many hadn't heard of the beer.

Plenty of folks (on theads here and elsewhere) suggested they had run a bit of a social media campaign getting mates to vote to get that result.

I quite like the beer myself but as another long post on the subject around the traps on AHB, question whether McLaren should have won, I think some of Stone & Wood's stuff should have taken top gong, but maybe that's just my love of hops talking.

It is a pleasant inoffensive session beer though for sure. Good one for the hot weather months and is made pretty flawlessly. Yet to drink a bad one.

Hopper.

chunckious

Reaction score
They're special batch IPA was a nice APA. <_<

drsmurto

Reaction score
Got voted number one beer in hottest 100 beers on the craftypint website.

Was quite a controversial result at the time because many hadn't heard of the beer.

Plenty of folks (on theads here and elsewhere) suggested they had run a bit of a social media campaign getting mates to vote to get that result.

I quite like the beer myself but as another long post on the subject around the traps on AHB, question whether McLaren should have won, I think some of Stone & Wood's stuff should have taken top gong, but maybe that's just my love of hops talking.

It is a pleasant inoffensive session beer though for sure. Good one for the hot weather months and is made pretty flawlessly. Yet to drink a bad one.

Hopper.
The hottest 100 of beers is like the hottest 100 of music - a popularity contest, not a blind judged competition.

I have no issues with media campaigns to win a popularity contest.

Golden Ale is #1 on this site according to the database. #1 in an ongoing popularity contest. Does make make it the best beer on this site? In my books, not by a very long stretch, what the voting system means is that it is the most popular, nothing more.

Best and popular are very different beasts :icon_cheers:

loikar

Reaction score
They're special batch IPA was a nice APA. <_<
The IPA isn't a special batch :)

And although it just scrapes in, it is an IPA.
And yes, it's a very nice beer.

chunckious

Reaction score
Shame. Only ever seen it on tap once and that's it. Would probably be a good value buy at the bottle shop.

loikar

Reaction score
Shame. Only ever seen it on tap once and that's it. Would probably be a good value buy at the bottle shop.
I was at the Vale Taphouse yesterday (enjoying a VALE/WIT) and was speaking to one of the guys there.
I don't think it's far off from hitting the shelves.

Ol'Wobbly

Reaction score
Funny that no one has commented on that most rare of occurrences yet - a Victorian pub selling SA beer! :lol:

HoppingMad

Ein Stein
Reaction score
[quote name='Ol'Wobbly' post='877771' date='Feb 10 2012, 12:17 PM']Funny that no one has commented on that most rare of occurrences yet - a Victorian pub selling SA beer! :lol:[/quote]

Coopers on tap or a Knappstein Reserve Lager from the fridge anyone? You'd be surprised - there's quite a few available here.

But yeah, take your point - we have so many little vic breweries popping our state's barfridges tend to get full over here.
But try finding something like a Southwark Stout anywhere and you're plain out of luck. Had one of those years ago and remember it as great but never seen it since. :(

Hopper.

Latest posts