May is Mild Month

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummmmm... Any cheap and easy kit interpretations? I'm on brew number five, third go with specialty grains and hops, but don't have the confidence to design yet.

Something like this would get you in the vicinity. Not strictly kits but if you're already steeping grains it's not really that different.

Extract Dark Mild

1.8 kgs Dry malt extract
150g Victory Malt
250g Caramunich III
100g Chocolate malt
30g Roasted barley

EKG or challenger hops to around 20-25 IBUs.

Wyeast Yeast 1469 or 1187.

Otherwise Mangrove Jacks make a mild ale kit. No idea what it's like as I've never tried any of their kits.

Does windsor stand anywhere near 1187 or 1469 in terms of flavour for a mild?

I was going to brew one this weekend, but my 1469 starter developed some sourness, and I doubt I could get some new liquid yeast in time for this weekend.

I have never used Windsor myself so can't comment on that from experience. Some googling shows quite a few people using Windsor, Nottingham and even US-04 for some dark milds. The other thing to take into consideration is that when doing an AG brew, you can mash at a higher temp to get extra body from a "light" beer. Could potentially use some maltodextrin in an extract brew to give it some extra body.

cremmerson said:
Ummmmm... Any cheap and easy kit interpretations? I'm on brew number five, third go with specialty grains and hops, but don't have the confidence to design yet.
Coopers real ale kit
500g DME
150g victory
250 g medium crystal
150g aromatic
30g roast barley
100 choc

10g challenger boiled with 5 L water and your DME for 10 mins.

Make up to 23L

Use 1469 yeast - for this OG you just need to pour it straight in - no starter. I recommend smacking and swelling but you could get away with not if for some reason you view liquid yeast as more difficult to use than it is.

The aromatic is supposed to be mashed but if you just make sure the temp stays between 59 and 72 for at least 30 minutes, you should be fine. If you can do this and can get biscuit - sub that for the victory. If you can't, stick with the victory and drop the aromatic (although I reckon the aromatic is key to the flavour - small amounts add a lot).

How convenient, I have a mild almost finished fermenting. Hydro samples taste great, looking forward to putting it on the hand pump

tiprya said:
Does windsor stand anywhere near 1187 or 1469 in terms of flavour for a mild?

I was going to brew one this weekend, but my 1469 starter developed some sourness, and I doubt I could get some new liquid yeast in time for this weekend.
No, but it would be better than any other dry yeast. Mild really benefits from the esters of a good yeast filling it out.

Been meaning to do manticles dark mild for a while, have some 1084 running in a fermenter at the moment, how would it go as a mild yeast?

Arghonaut said:
Been meaning to do manticles dark mild for a while, have some 1084 running in a fermenter at the moment, how would it go as a mild yeast?
I'd have a crack. Have used three different yeasts with that recipe and while 1469 is the favourite, the other two have still been great. The grist really comes through with all, you can some nice esters and the short high mash works well.

I have used 1084 in the better red than dead recipe and I reckon it would fare well in the mild.

manticle said:
I'd have a crack. Have used three different yeasts with that recipe and while 1469 is the favourite, the other two have still been great. The grist really comes through with all, you can some nice esters and the short high mash works well.

I have used 1084 in the better red than dead recipe and I reckon it would fare well in the mild.
I've never even tasted a mild before, and this is my first run of beers with 1084, should i run it at 18 or up it to 22 - 24 for more esters?

I done this one, been sitting in the keg for few weeks degassing it as I over carbed :angry:
its getting there but it really tastes thin and not much flavour?

Grain Bill
----------------
2.600 kg Pale Ale Malt (74.1%)
0.483 kg Caraaroma (13.76%)
0.300 kg Munich I (8.55%)
0.126 kg Chocolate (3.59%)

Hop Bill
----------------
22.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
15.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 30 Minutes. 72c 10min - 78c 10min
Fermented at 19°C with Danstar Windsor

I was going to brew a mid strength pale ale but I saw this thread, so I brewed a mild instead :)

I used marris otter, crystal 60 and some choc malt. Hops were ekg and a bit of Chinook at flameout just for kicks. Fermenting with s-04.

It was my 2nd all grain batch and only got 65% efficiency with my biab setup. Was aiming for 70-75% so og is pretty low @ 1.032.

awall said:
I was going to brew a mid strength pale ale but I saw this thread, so I brewed a mild instead :)

I used marris otter, crystal 60 and some choc malt. Hops were ekg and a bit of Chinook at flameout just for kicks. Fermenting with s-04.

It was my 2nd all grain batch and only got 65% efficiency with my biab setup. Was aiming for 70-75% so og is pretty low @ 1.032.
Nice!. I mostly brew APA's and AIPA's but have fallen in love with these things lately. So much flavour for such a low abv drink :)

lukasfab said:
I done this one, been sitting in the keg for few weeks degassing it as I over carbed :angry:
its getting there but it really tastes thin and not much flavour?

Grain Bill
----------------
2.600 kg Pale Ale Malt (74.1%)
0.483 kg Caraaroma (13.76%)
0.300 kg Munich I (8.55%)
0.126 kg Chocolate (3.59%)

Hop Bill
----------------
22.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
15.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 30 Minutes. 72c 10min - 78c 10min
Fermented at 19°C with Danstar Windsor
Just plugged this into brewmate. Seems pretty low even for a mild. 3.24 abv. I try and aim for between 3.5 - 4 abv. Biscuit and roast barley would make a big difference to the taste but not add a lot of body. Maybe try upping the base malt a little. Never tried Windsor yeast though so that could have been the difference.

lukiferj said:
. Never tried Windsor yeast though so that could have been the difference.
A mild should benefit from the use of windsor due to it being a low attenuater it lends itself to not being as dryer finish. Big difference between a beer being thin or dry. If you have mashed at 69 and have a thin beer I would be looking to see if sufficient conversion was acheived during the mash.

Cheers

Edit. I try to get some of my milds to be thinner and dry, makes a good malty quaffer for the qld weather.

Cheers Brad. Still pretty new at this game. Will try some thinner milds when the weather warms up again. As opposed to the cold we had today :) Definitely pale ale weather.

I've read that milds lend themselves to speedy brewing. Fast fermenting, highly flocculant english yeast and low gravities etc.. I read all the time on the web of brewers drinking milds at 7-10 days with a kegging setup, but does 21 days sound unreasonable if I'm bottling (7 days fermenting then 14 days in bottles)? I understand they taste better fresh, and as a bonus, I can get something else into my fermenter much sooner :lol:.

Back