Maxi-biab With Mash Out & No Sparge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDaddy

Reaction score
Just discovered the maxi-BIAB techniques, and as always, before trying something new, I have a few questions.

The normal BIAB technique I have used, includes a mash out (@ 77c) where the mash is heated and let rest (15 minutes-ish) before lifting the bag and letting drain / squeezing i.e No Sparge.

Would this approach work for a Maxi BIAB - i.e 4.5kg of grain in say 19 litres?? or is the mash just too think and an actual sparge (in a separate vessel) is required??

Just discovered the maxi-BIAB techniques, and as always, before trying something new, I have a few questions.

The normal BIAB technique I have used, includes a mash out (@ 77c) where the mash is heated and let rest (15 minutes-ish) before lifting the bag and letting drain / squeezing i.e No Sparge.

Would this approach work for a Maxi BIAB - i.e 4.5kg of grain in say 19 litres?? or is the mash just too think and an actual sparge (in a separate vessel) is required??

It would work, but the grain holds such a large percentage of your potential wort as extra strong absorbed wort that its really worth doing a dunk sparge.

Grab a bucket, etc, put the bag in, fill it with hot water, swirl around the grain etc for a few mintues, then re-pull the bag and squeeze. Add runnings to your main pot. Add any additional runnings as it boils down.

Normal to get about 83% efficiency.

For giggles... here's my Max-BIAB with a 98L main pot and 50L dunk-sparge pot ;)
biab_8_dunksparge_drain.jpg

Yep, as per Stux, you could mashout without sparging but it would not be likely to achieve anything like a dunk sparge, while IMO a combined mashout/ dunk sparge is the proverbial duck's nuts. I can see why you might be asking, however MaxiBIAB has some striking contrasts to stock BIAB and the thicker mash is just the start.
As an aside, me tips me lid to Stux, he's has taken MaxiBIAB to extremes along with some fantastic theoretical work, the pic is just a small peek into that. :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense and a dunk sparge doesn't seem too hard.
Another question. I see a lot of maxi biab recipes have a 90 minute mash. Is this again required for efficiency or just coincidence that I've only looked at a few recipes. I have been and want to continue with 60 minute mash.

90 minute mash won't hurt with efficiency, but you should be fine in most cases with 60. Probably a coincidence!

Back