Maxed Out Mash Tun Work Around?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
I was just reading Gordon Strongs new book and when talking about adjuncts, he says "adding plain sugar increases gravity and decreases body".
I already knew this as I am sure most AG brewers here do too. But it did get me thinking.

If you had a limited sized mash tun, say Braumeister or small esky, could you fill with as much grain as you could, Mash high (69C ish) for increased body, and add quite a bit of table sugar to bump up your OG? That way you should get a higher OG than previously possible, same level of body and hopefully the right degree of attenuation?

Now I am not thinking of doing this myself, nor would I suggest anyone trying it unless they really wanted to. It's more of a thought experiment and I wanted to get other peoples opinions. Realistically, I don't think it would work that well, something just wouldn't be right.

I was just reading Gordon Strongs new book and when talking about adjuncts, he says "adding plain sugar increases gravity and decreases body".
I already knew this as I am sure most AG brewers here do too. But it did get me thinking.

If you had a limited sized mash tun, say Braumeister or small esky, could you fill with as much grain as you could, Mash high (69C ish) for increased body, and add quite a bit of table sugar to bump up your OG? That way you should get a higher OG than previously possible, same level of body and hopefully the right degree of attenuation?

Now I am not thinking of doing this myself, nor would I suggest anyone trying it unless they really wanted to. It's more of a thought experiment and I wanted to get other peoples opinions. Realistically, I don't think it would work that well, something just wouldn't be right.

I know that Boags add dextrose to some of their brews. I wonder if this is to give a similar feel to their full strength beers as their light?

A common misnomer is that simple sugars 'decrease' body. It doesn't. It just won't increase body relative to the same amount as malt. You will just end up with the body of a beer done at 69C just with more alcohol. But, with less body than you would expect of a beer with the same ABV done purely with malt.

Back