Max Walker dies, aged 68, after 34-Test career with Australian cricket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DU99

Reaction score
Former Australian Test cricketer Max Walker has died, aged 68, after an eight-year international cricket career with Australia.
Walker made his Test debut in 1973 and took 138 wickets in 34 Tests, with his bizarre medium-pace bowling action earning him the nickname 'Tangles
He also played 17 one-day internationals from 1974 to 1981, with his handlebar moustache and knock-about style making him a fan favourite.
The Tasmania native played 135 first-class games, plying his trade in the Sheffield Shield for Victoria.
After retiring from the game, Walker had a stint on Channel Nine's Wide World Of Sports program and surprisingly became a successful author as his book How To Hypnotise Chooks And Other Great Yarns becoming a national best-seller.
Walker was a prominent face in the It's Crunch Time campaign, which aimed to encourage people to get screened for bowel cancer.

Not to forget the classic Aeroguard ads. Bye Mr Walker.

c'mon Aussie c'mon c'mon Mr Walkers playing havoc with the bats

What a top bloke sad to see him go so early

RIP

Remember the days when you could walk into McDonalds and purchase the World Series Cricket Posters, Miniature Cricket Bats etc?
He will be sadly missed
RIP Mr Walker

Terribly sad though I can't help but recalling the 12th man 'oh big max like the hamburgers' 'no not like the bloody hamburgers'.

Thought he would have been older than 68.Gone too soon,came across as a real salt of the earth type of bloke and from all accounts what you saw was what you got.RIP.
Also a fairly accomplished Aussie rules player to go with it.

Lager Bloke said:
Also a fairly accomplished Aussie rules player to go with it.
I didn't realise that until the other day. Played ninety-something games for the Dees before his test career.

My memories of him are as the host of WWOS. Used to sit down and watch it with my old man, and he'd wax lyrical about his test career and lament the current crop players being soft.

RIP Tangles.

JD

Robert Craddock did a great Cricket Legend show on him. It's airing on one of the Foxtel channels Friday, 4pm I think.

Some of those 2.2 ads were great.

Remember the aeroguard and avagoodweekend.

Don't you mean Mike Walker? Changed his fuckin' name by deed poll...

Anyway, very sad news, as a cricket fan from ever since I can remember. I'm not old enough to have seen him play other than in highlights reels or whatever, but I've read most of his books. Really entertaining and funny stuff, and it seemed like that's what sort of bloke he was too. Gone too early. RIP Big Maxy :(

been a long, long time since I had a goddam good fuckin' name and back then I just about had to beg for it. never put a ring on their fingers kiddies...

Back