Max Ferment Time Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPH87

Reaction score
Help please?

I have put a fresh wort kit from Craftbrewer down on the 20th of July. I thought that I could ferment it for 3 weeks then dry hop in the keg for 5 days. Don't ask why I thought I could do this I don't know.

So after reading the Racking Article I have began to panic as it states that "if you wish to ferment your beer longer than say 10 days, moving the beer off the yeast cake will reduce the risk of autolysis, a process whereby yeast cells, having consumed all other available food, begin to metabolise each other, creating a foul taste"

Does that mean I have screwed it up?

Thanks in advance, Ben

Help please?

I have put a fresh wort kit from Craftbrewer down on the 20th of July. I thought that I could ferment it for 3 weeks then dry hop in the keg for 5 days. Don't ask why I thought I could do this I don't know.

So after reading the Racking Article I have began to panic as it states that "if you wish to ferment your beer longer than say 10 days, moving the beer off the yeast cake will reduce the risk of autolysis, a process whereby yeast cells, having consumed all other available food, begin to metabolise each other, creating a foul taste"

Thanks in advance, Ben

Don't stress. You will be OK, and you may just may an excellent beer giving it the time to clear!

It's only screwed if it has a foul taste!

Panic not.. more likely than not it'll be fine

Help please?

You can.

No.

Don't know where the article gets 10 days from. Autolysis is a real phenomenon but the likelihood of it happening in a 20 L fermenter at home without a heat pad sitting underneath it or some other extreme of temperature in just over a week is very small.

Most of my beers get 10 days minimum contact with primary yeast (I'd be prepared to say all do) and autolysis - whether vegemite or meaty/fatty/goaty or any of the other descriptors are not common flavours in my beer.

im guessing your brewing at room temp?
this time of year(winter cool) i dont htink there would be any ill effects.
enjoy your brew. :icon_cheers:

brewing in a commercial fridge with a tempmate, heated with a reptile lamp and heat pad, as the temps have been down to 2 degrees

Is the heatpad underneath the fermenter, directly heating the cake?

No it is at the bottom of the fridge and the lamp is in the middle with the fermenters suspended above that.

Both the pad and the lamp are just heating the air in the fridge not the wort directly.

i think your beer will be fine.
a curve ball - reptile lamp - that would be infra red heating.
anyone used infra red heat for their brews before? wonder if that would do anything.

I have installed it inside a terracotta pot (although residual heat is a bit of a pain) because I read somewhere that rays can damage your beer.

No it is at the bottom of the fridge and the lamp is in the middle with the fermenters suspended above that.

Both the pad and the lamp are just heating the air in the fridge not the wort directly.

All good then.

My first brew has been in fermentation for nearly 3 weeks and the second one for 2 weeks. Can I just change the temp on my tempmate down to 2 degrees for cold crash?

Make sure you fridge is turned to high (or low, depending on how you look at it) or it's thermostat will override the tempmate.

Latest posts

Back