Mauribrew Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm writing from Europe and recently I got couple of sachets of Mauribrew ale yeast. By now I only used liquid WL or WY and Fermentis dry yeasts that I find to be really good (especially US05 and S04).

Now, I did a little research on the internet on this mauribrew yeasts and there is no much information. I'd like to know if anyone of you ever brewed with it and what characteristics does it have? Is it comparable with Fermentis dry yeasts in any way?

I got some nelson sauvin hops and I was wondering how would it match with mauribrew ale yeast?

Thanks!!

This one is likely to get a bit contentious, personally I think they (they offer 3 yeasts) are very good and useful yeasts, unfortunately they are the standard offering under the lid of most home brew kits sold in Australia and the old familiarity breeds contempt - kicks in, around here they cop a bit of a bagging, undeservedly in my mind.

Anyway here is the link to the yeasts, a bit more information would be good but thats what is available.

514 (the Ale) is one of the toughest most bulletproof dried yeasts in the world, it will survive mishandling that would totally ruin any other yeast, its highly viable for a long time, can brew at ridiculously high temperatures and even makes a pretty passable beer.
It amuses the hell out of me that its sold as a premium import in other countries, while at home its held in contempt by many.
MHB

514 info here: http://www.maurivin.com/y.aspx?id=14&m...&menuid=323

Is it 514 you've got?

Pretty bagged out here as a lot of the time people only use it at 30C with 1kg of Dextrose and only half the pitching rate that's optimal (as they are 6 or 7g sachets instead of Fermentis 11.5g) i'm sure at 18-20C with an all malt beer it'd make a passable Alt, ESB or other beer where a neutral profile with a bit of esters would fit.

Some discussion and info. Turns out it is "the" coopers tin packet yeast. How it interacts with NS I can't help with.

No it's [topic="33567"]not[/topic].

Anywho, UK outfit Steel City use Mauri yeast (which one is unspecified, but likely 514) in their Full Marx collaboration brew with London Brewing, as it is London Brewing's house yeast. Steel City turn out some wicked brews, and although I've not tried Full Marx, if it's good enough for Steel City, I'd give it a go. The London Brewing beers get mainly positive reviews too, and as I mentioned, it is apparently their go-to yeast. You could try emailing either brewery to hear their thoughts 'though.

I've always wondered if anyone has ever used kit yeast in an all grain beer. Might have to try it. The brigalow yeast they sell at the supermarket is 514 isn't it?

I'm not drinking much at the moment so i might have to try this out, i'm thinking a simple aussie beer.

Would i need to use a starter for the yeast at the supermarket? Or just pitch a few packs?

I've always wondered if anyone has ever used kit yeast in an all grain beer. Might have to try it. The brigalow yeast they sell at the supermarket is 514 isn't it?

I'm not drinking much at the moment so i might have to try this out, i'm thinking a simple aussie beer.

Would i need to use a starter for the yeast at the supermarket? Or just pitch a few packs?

I'd recommend using Mauri 514 bought from a good LHBS, rather than use the stuff that's been left to cook under a can lid for who knows how long. It wouldn't be really a fair test for the yeast in my opinion. There's a retailer that posted further up this thread that I know has it in stock :icon_cheers:

I'd recommend using Mauri 514 bought from a good LHBS, rather than use the stuff that's been left to cook under a can lid for who knows how long. It wouldn't be really a fair test for the yeast in my opinion. There's a retailer that posted further up this thread that I know has it in stock :icon_cheers:

BUt if i bought a few packets from the supermaket and made a starter it should be alright shouldn't it?

BUt if i bought a few packets from the supermaket and made a starter it should be alright shouldn't it?

I'm an all-grain brewer so after spending 6 hours of my time making a finely crafted wort, $4 for some fresh, well looked after yeast seems like a no-brainer to me. YMMV.

The U-Brew-It BOP's here in WA use MauriBrew yeasts, so you may have some luck approaching a BOP place and trying to source some that are probably better handled than a supermarket.

Interested to here how this goes.

hey guys, I will appreciate comments from people who actually used this yeast. I'm really interested in flavor profile, how fast and vigorous does it ferment, what's the lowest fermentation temperature it can handle etc...

hey guys, I will appreciate comments from people who actually used this yeast. I'm really interested in flavor profile, how fast and vigorous does it ferment, what's the lowest fermentation temperature it can handle etc...

I've used it. A very nuetral yeast. Does the job but I did not find it adds much to the profile of the beer. I have used it at 18 deg celcius. But to be honest I only used it with kit beers over 3-4 years ago. I think you will find that brewers that are spending time and money doing a full mash beer are a bit hesitant to use a under lid yeast to ferment their wort as they will try to match a yeast to the wort.
Imo youd be better to use a well handled yeast as opposed to one that has been transported in a less than optimal environment no matter whos blend it is.

Cheers

I have only used it once. I fermented a 10 min APA double batch, one with Mauri 514 and one with US-05 for comparison at 18 deg. After 2 days the US-05 had a very solid thick krausen on top and the Mauri had none. I thought I may have had a bad batch so I pitched another packet. A day later very small krausen. After 4 days I took a Sg reading and to my surprise it was reading 1.016 and the US-05 was 1.010. The mauri did get down to 1.014 but it did leave a slight sweetness compared to the US-05. Nothing else was noticeable flavour wise.

So you've used it in an all grain beer Brad? The main reason i'm interested is to find out which part of a kit/extract beer makes it taste like a kit beer. I've used other yeasts with the kits i've made in the past and they've all still tasted like k(sh)it beer, so maybe it isn't the yeast that is at fault, maybe its the malt extract.

See my post above; get in contact with either of those two breweries, I'm sure they will have more to say than "...I used it one time in a kit brew years ago..." They've used it commercially. In all-grain beer. Properly.

So you've used it in an all grain beer Brad? The main reason i'm interested is to find out which part of a kit/extract beer makes it taste like a kit beer. I've used other yeasts with the kits i've made in the past and they've all still tasted like k(sh)it beer, so maybe it isn't the yeast that is at fault, maybe its the malt extract.

Nah mate only in my kit daze. To be honest would not use it on a full mash brew, IMO there are too many better options.

Cheers

Nah mate only in my kit daze. To be honest would not use it on a full mash brew, IMO there are too many better options.
FFS, If you haven't tried, how do you know? There are too many people here sticking their oar in without any basis for their opinion. 514 could make an AG brew into liquid gold. Or liquid shit. But if you haven't tried, you don't know, and your reply is a waste of everybody's time. So far the only person with anything of value to add has been felon.

I haven't tried 514 in an all grain beer, but I remembered reading about 2 UK breweries who have, and on a commercial scale. So I pointed the OP in their direction, because they are qualified, in this instance, to give an informed opinion.

To the OP, if they do furnish you with some open info, please post it up, because there are some people here who would be interested to hear it.

FFS, If you haven't tried, how do you know? There are too many people here sticking their oar in without any basis for their opinion. 514 could make an AG brew into liquid gold. Or liquid shit. But if you haven't tried, you don't know, and your reply is a waste of everybody's time. So far the only person with anything of value to add has been felon.

I haven't tried 514 in an all grain beer, but I remembered reading about 2 UK breweries who have, and on a commercial scale. So I pointed the OP in their direction, because they are qualified, in this instance, to give an informed opinion.

To the OP, if they do furnish you with some open info, please post it up, because there are some people here who would be interested to hear it.

Oh dear. Perhaps you should take your own advice.
I have offered my experience with this yeast, even posted a link to the manufacturers website for the OP.

Interesting, they have a wheat beer yeast as well.

Weiss
Mauribrew Weiss produces large quantities of fermentation aromas (esters, higher alcohols) that contribute to the complexity of Germanstyle wheat beers. Mauribrew Weiss is also suitable for special beers made with macerated fruits, honey or any kind of sugar based additional ingredients.

Mauri Ale is hectic, I worked in a BOP for a bit and the stuff proofed in minutes, overflowing your vessel if you give it too much wort. I put my bet on it outcompeting most things when wort is being handled in a less than perfect manner, I am not a big fan of the profile, but it is OK, just neither exceptionally clean nor interesting.

Back