Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Reaction score
For those that have read Matho's thread on his Braumiser, love it, but get a little lost when it comes to electronic engineering and programing like myself. I asked the question and a new thread was suggested. So perhaps with a little interest Matho might knock out a couple of these for us. Please!!! Matho a price might not be a bad idea. :rolleyes: Obviously there are other options, like the brewtroller and BCS but the form factor and specific compatibility to single vessel brewing I think make Matho's controller the stand out.
so 1 for me any way

Ohhhhhh hell yeah!

Would love one. It would have to be worth his time and effort, but if it's possible, i'd be keen as mustard.

I downloaded all the "build pdf's" but because i'm a complete fucktard with stuff like that, i am having a hard time making sense of it all....inspiring work.

I'd be keen, doubt I could afford it though. But I do have most of the other necessary parts...

Edit: I'm thinking these will probably be up over $100 each to cover parts and at least some of the labour.

I'd be keen, doubt I could afford it though. But I do have most of the other necessary parts...

Edit: I'm thinking these will probably be up over $100 each to cover parts and at least some of the labour.
Hi,
Have been reading the other thread with great interest as it is stand out stuff. Does anyone know anyone in China who could knock out a few hundred of these controllers. I am sure it may well be a pain in the arse. But you could almost send Tanga on a holiday over there to get the chinese to make them for bugger all and then bring back the finished product for much less than it would cost to have matho use his time and energy. Or does anyone know any really smart nerd kids that are desparate for the World of war three ps3 game. Bribe them and send them to jarcar.
p.s I am interested in one too. And I have never even done an AG brew.

I'm keen for a free holiday =).

I actually do have an uncle in China who has a good eye for a business opportunity. I have no idea if this is one, but if enough people post in this thread I could at least show it to him. Matho you should probably patent your invention, or some unscrupulous third party could actually do this without bothering to pay royalties.

On second thoughts... It does look as though Matho will be able to bulk program the chips and sell them. If we do a bulk buy on the boards we're most of the way there. Soldering is pretty easy.

I'm keen for a free holiday =).

I actually do have an uncle in China who has a good eye for a business opportunity. I have no idea if this is one, but if enough people post in this thread I could at least show it to him. Matho you should probably patent your invention, or some unscrupulous third party could actually do this without bothering to pay royalties.

On second thoughts... It does look as though Matho will be able to bulk program the chips and sell them. If we do a bulk buy on the boards we're most of the way there. Soldering is pretty easy.

Maybe if someone qualified put together the 240V side. Building the logic side might be easy but checking the 240V stuff is not as easy as wiring an STC-1000

There a few people on this forum who could make these or something similar.

Suggest you put out an open request rather than hassle Matho.

But then again, anyone able to make them probably would be caught selling them for liability reasons.

Can someone explain to me what Matho's controller can do that a PID controller like this one can't do? I've been planning to get a PID for a while but if Matho's controller is better than I'd definitely be keen to get one.

I'd be up for one, dont know what they really do, but count me in

Can someone explain to me what Matho's controller can do that a PID controller like this one can't do? I've been planning to get a PID for a while but if Matho's controller is better than I'd definitely be keen to get one.

It depends.. From what I believe he is using it for, as in to control the heating for the mash, then not much difference. But with other controllers etc you can keep adding to it. I'm going to go the Arduino path, then I can have multiple temp pickups, switch the pump, multiple heating elements and possible a flow meter and solinoids later. But at the moment I know bugger all about the electronics side, and will be learing as I go.

Also I'm planning on slowly building this up, so I don't expect to get something running for a few months. (my 3V has been in the build since 2009)

QldKev

I think the way to do this would be to build an arduino shield. That way you get the benefit of a large open source code base (ie. use brewtroller and arduino resources) and start with a standard single vessel base and QldKev or anyone else can customise to their hearts content.

I've thought about doing this before but just don't have the spare time.

I think the way to do this would be to build an arduino shield. That way you get the benefit of a large open source code base (ie. use brewtroller and arduino resources) and start with a standard single vessel base and QldKev or anyone else can customise to their hearts content.

I've thought about doing this before but just don't have the spare time.

Arnie I've followed your thread on the BT site and agree with the principle above, as single vessel systems are really only recently being put together by home brewers, none of the current controlers were aimed at using a single vessel and I know you had a fair bit of coding and recoding to get BT to work with your system. I unfortunately have no coding skills :p What matho has put together is both small form factor and specific to single vessel.

ok there has been alot of good points.

tanga, I built this for myself and im sharing it with you all, if someone wants to make it a sell it good luck to them, I'm a big believer in karma and also there is nothing to patent.

Arniew your right about the arduino shell, it would work out well as there wouldn't be many parts and ppl can change the program as they like, I have just started to play with arduino's at work to do basic circuit breaker controls and testing.

Zizzle, you are completely right .

If Im going to do this it would be a single board design to reduce the number of connectors because they are pricey, I would supply the board, the parts to go on the board, a programmed chip, lcd screen and a DS18B20 temp sensor. the things that need to be done would be,soldering parts to the board, the box, a 12V power supply, a SSR and the 240v wiring. the wiring would be akin to wiring a stc - 1000 and a PID combined. I still haven't made up my mind if im going to do this, it will take a bit of time to design the board and get it made and order all the parts, I did a quick addition today and it would cost about $50 - 60 plus delivery, I need to work out the design before i could get a more accurate price.

my controller differs from a PID controller in that it controls the heating element and the pump, has a manual and auto mode, a user friendly display with prompts like 'add water' 'remove grain'
up to 5 programmable steps, 5 programmable hop addition alarms and it still has a PID algorithm controlling the heating element.

cheers matho

am i the only one who read the title and thought what do they want his wife for????

am i the only one who read the title and thought what do they want his wife for????
hehehe that was the first thing I thought when i read the title too mate, so your not alone

would it be worth throwing up a design over at www.ponoko.com? i don't really know anything about electronics, but it looks like they will make a design for you as long as they have the parts. no outlay for matho

Back