Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point you could change your design to utilise an I2C LCD, which only uses 2 analog pins, leaves the rest for other in/outputs.

Hello everyone, I've just put together one of these controllers, and it's almost working. I can control the pump and element and menu system works fine. The temperature only reads 85 degrees though, sometimes it will briefly show 127.75 degrees. The sensor worked fine when I tested it with the completed shield, but before I connected the SSR, buttons etc. So now I'm just after any tips for what I should be looking for. I keep going over my wiring but can't seem to find the problem. I probably need to take a rest from it at the moment and look again later, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I am pretty certain that your wiring is incorrect. I am unable to give you a link until tommrow but it will default a temp of 85. Check the wiring is correct.

Is it possibly the sensor is faulty? I've just tried connecting it to a new circuit on a breadboard, using the serial monitor I'm still getting 85 degrees.

Apparently I have fixed it. Seems like it was a software issue, had to change ds.write(0x44,0); to ds.write(0x44,1);
Something to do with parasite power? Too tired.

Dxxxx said:
Apparently I have fixed it. Seems like it was a software issue, had to change ds.write(0x44,0); to ds.write(0x44,1);
Something to do with parasite power? Too tired.
You only need to change that if you are running the sensor in parisite power mode. If your running the DS18B20 in powered mode (three wires)then the code is good. The code isn't designed to run in parisite mode anyway as it polls the sensor to see if the conversion is complete, you can't do that in parisite mode because the data line has to be held high until the conversion has taken place.

Any idea why it's not working normally? I tested with the braudino shield on usb power as well as 12v, and without the shield using a breadboard. Tried 2 different arduinos.

I don't know if that's the case here. It was working fine when I first got it, even with the shield.

In Italy we are going forward with the Test
Thanks to friends official forum arduino Italy we are seeing to add support for load Reader Writer SD Saving Recipe here a picture
of 'last test performed with modified PCB By DanielXan V11S soon as a final version of the PCB will be made ​​and published you plan to use LCD and connected RTC I2C seen in the few remaining free pins with Arduino Uno R3

In Italiano

In Italia stiamo andando avanti con i Test
Grazie ad amici forum ufficiale arduino Italia stiamo vedendo di aggiungere supporto Lettore Scrittore SD per Carico Salvataggio Ricetta qui una foto
dell' ultimo test eseguito con modifica PCB By DanielXan V11S presto una versione definitiva del PCB verrà fatta e pubblicata si pensa di usare LCD e RTC collegati in I2C visti i pochi pin liberi rimasti con Arduino Uno R3

TestBrauDuinoItalyV11s.jpg

djar007 said:
are you in mebourne dxx, I have a spare arduino tested and working you ca borrow to troubleshoot if you like
Nah, thanks for the offer, but I am well away from Melbourne. I've tried with 2 arduinos anyway. I've ordered another DS18B20 to test, so I'll see what happens.
That being said, is there a particular reason I cannot use it in parasite mode?
It seems to work so far, not that I've played with it much. Some quick testing with about 10l of water and 2400w element had a little bit of overshoot but I figure that's to be expected as I haven't changed the PID settings from whatever their default is.

Currently I have the thing on a bench test, so the DS18B20 just has it's legs shoved into the 3 terminals. I have not connected up pump/heater/buttons. The code is matho's standard code (with the mandatory display name hack)

Should it read a correct temperature at this stage, all I get is the 85.00c

edit: The DS18B20 is not the one supplied with the kit, I don't have the normal kit one.

check your connections QldKev I bought 2 x DS18B20s off ebay and they worked fine. Although I think my kit was labelled wrong on the PCB I will check tonite and post a pic if you like

QldKev said:
Currently I have the thing on a bench test, so the DS18B20 just has it's legs shoved into the 3 terminals. I have not connected up pump/heater/buttons. The code is matho's standard code (with the mandatory display name hack)

Should it read a correct temperature at this stage, all I get is the 85.00c

edit: The DS18B20 is not the one supplied with the kit, I don't have the normal kit one.
When I first completed my shield, it read the temperature fine without the pump/heater/buttons, then when I finished the rest it started doing the 85 thing. As with matties, the pcb labels weren't in the right spots, so check against the PDF wiring diagram to make sure you have the sensor connected properly.

mattieharding said:
check your connections QldKev I bought 2 x DS18B20s off ebay and they worked fine. Although I think my kit was labelled wrong on the PCB I will check tonite and post a pic if you like

I've got it working.

I think the ds18b20 must not have reverse polarity protection, I tried 2 new ones but both had been tried backwards. :unsure:

I pulled it out and shoved in another new one and it's working. Lucky they are only about $1 each.

edit:
Anyone using these probes?

Got my buttons today and got them wired up. Just waiting on the SSR to turn up now. Fired it up to test it out, and probed the terminals to see what's happening.

I'm finding at the SSR output terminals with heat on, +12v as expected, but with heat off I get +5.8v ? Is this voltage normal leakage that will drop once the SSR is connected up or is it a case of "Houston we have a problem"

Tthe project has evolved into a new hw.
The fw has been rewritten almost completely
Supports SD card for import and export recipes
The system log.
Display I2C and RTC
Auxiliary outputs
Import recipes from BrewPlus
etc..
Will be released when ready

Maybe will have to migrate to another AVR because the flash of the Arduino is busy at 99.9%
Here, where we are developing the fw http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=176121.240

13-lc.jpg

I am so close to having photos to share of my system but wanted to get it all tested and working first. During the first fully wired up test tonight I think I made an error: The braudino controller started up and the default program began to run. The pump works but temp reading is over 4000c, indicating no/poor temp probe connection.

I paused the program and, not knowing how else to shut down, switched off at the point. After opening up the controller to check the temp probe connections I now get a blank display on the lcd, except for a top row full of white squares (nothing down the bottom row). Any ideas? I don't have the usb programming cable.

Back