Mathos Brauduino - Odd behaviour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmicBertie

Reaction score
I have one of the Mathos Arduino which I purchased as a kit from Lael on here....and I have a weird problem.

In manual mode I cant operate the pump or heating element, the buttons work fine, I can hit start and go into Auto mode, or into the setup and change the parameters.

Also, when in Auto mode, the pump operation is sporadic, in fact, I've only ever seen the LED light up twice. When it does the 'pump prime' nothing happens. I've double checked the LED connections, and I can see +5V across the connectors too.

Also, at the startup screen, if I hold down the 'UP' button, I appear to have a 'Sous Vide' mode.....now, as much as I like low and slow cooking, this is a bit weird.

Anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

CB

Evening CB,
Sounds like you've got the wrong (or modified) program uploaded to your arduino. The other faults you're talking about could be a construction issue, but they're most likely due to different pins being used for the alternative program you've got. Try downloading the latest code and see if that fixes the fault.
Your sous vide comment is interesting in that my wife's brother is a chef and wants me to build him a 50L keg unit after I cooked a whole leg of lamb for 14 hours the other day in my brau clone. Flamed on the BBQ and it just fell apart, medium rare all the way through. I'm actually looking at dumbing"" the code down a bit as manual mode is pretty well all that's required.

Good luck,
BB

It sounds like Lael might have been playing around with the code and included it in the kit/instructions?

If you dont want that function I would suggest uploading Mathos latest code from here - https://github.com/m.../brauduino2.ino

Make sure with the 2 LEDs that you have them on the board the correct way, long leg positive and short leg negative. Also make sure the transistors are on the board the correct orientation.

Good luck!

EDIT - BB beat me to it...

Hi Cosmic,

Sorry! I was messing with the code and flashed the wrong code on the one I sent you! You'll need to upload the .ino file Pete linked to. Let me know if you need help with it and I can make a video tute walking you through it.

Im more than willing to admit to cocking up the soldering....i even had the LEDs the wrong way around for a while, but the fact that it wont operate in manual mode had me thinking. If i put it into Auto mode, then the SSR kicks in when the temperature is below the setpoint, so I know that the heating circuit is working fine.

Can I just upload the latest code with a USB cable? I thought they had to be flashed?

There were no instructions with the kit I got. Seems like theres some oddities, the PCB markings for the temp probe wires are wrong too.

Thanks for the advice...

CB

Not an issue, Lael. I'll give it a go.

Hmmm, I'm getting these errors when trying to Verify/Compile the code....do I need some libraries?

sketch_may20a:28: error: 'OneWire' does not name a type
sketch_may20a:102: error: 'PID' does not name a type
sketch_may20a.ino: In function 'void Temperature()':
sketch_may20a:196: error: 'ds' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may20a.ino: In function 'void PID_HEAT()':
sketch_may20a:240: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may20a:244: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may20a.ino: In function 'void load_pid_settings()':
sketch_may20a:264: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may20a.ino: In function 'void setup()':
sketch_may20a:1011: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may20a:1011: error: 'AUTOMATIC' was not declared in this scope

'flashed' means uploading the new code with the usb cable. The only thing you need on the arduino I sent you is the usb cable and the correct libraries installed.

The instructions for the kit are posted on the thread where I've organised the buy:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/69155-bonjuino-and-mathos-controller-30/page-5#entry1023959

You are right though - I think the labelling for the temp probes are mixed up. I know I had to swap mine around. I need to touch base with matho and let him know. Do you have yours out of the box to tell me which order you had to connect them in? (mine is inside my control box atm).

The temp probe wires I've got connected as:

Probe Legs

GND - D - VDD

Connected to screw terminal

3 - 2 - 1

I hope that makes sense. I can draw a Paint pic if needs be ;-)

Ok. Reflashed and now at least the Heater is working in manual mode. Looks like it could be a dodgy soldering job on my LED for the pump.

Thanks for your help guys.

Sweet! Thanks! - so left to right on the PCB is GND (black), Data (Yellow)?, VDD (red) (colours from memory).

Excellent - glad it is back to how it should be!

edit - I guess the colours depend on which temp probe you got - those are for the sureelectronics one.

Er, no. With the PCB orientated so that the +12V is at the bottom left, the PCB connections would be, Left to right, VDD - D - GND. Cant really give you probe colours as I bought just the raw probe and have soldered on the wires myself.

Hope that makes sense.

yep - that is great - thanks! - I wasn't sure when I was doing mine if I just happened to get a probe that was wired the wrong way around :)

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the Brewery!

IT LIVES!

New code uploaded, and all the pump solder points resoldered. I also had an issue with the display, which seems to be fixed be resoldering the connector pins!

You can just see the LEDs illuminated in manual mode in the pic...but its working because the relay is clicking!

Swa-eet

Thanks for all your help guys, Ive been scratching my head for a couple of days now. :D

Im reet happy :D

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

Nice Work!!!

Such a satisfying feeling! :) Well Done!

Yup it is :D

One last question. Does the temp probe have to be calibrated? Can it be calibrated? I'll have to check it against another thermometer.

Mmmm - a good question. The answer is that there are some settings in the controller to adjust the temp, but I haven't played with them.

My temp probe was within 0.5 degrees of my cooking probes (with the arduino temp at the base of the pot and the cooking at the top of the malt pipe), so that seems accurate enough for me :) ... but yes, I did check mine :)

Getting the following error when I complile the code, am I missing something?

sketch_may22a:102: error: 'PID' does not name a type
sketch_may22a.ino: In function 'void PID_HEAT()':
sketch_may22a:240: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may22a:244: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may22a.ino: In function 'void load_pid_settings()':
sketch_may22a:264: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may22a.ino: In function 'void setup()':
sketch_may22a:1011: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may22a:1011: error: 'AUTOMATIC' was not declared in this scope

Would you be offended if I posted this code on the BIAB brewer forum?

:)

All good people just had a folder inside another so it couldnt find it

mattieharding said:
Getting the following error when I complile the code, am I missing something?

sketch_may22a:102: error: 'PID' does not name a type
sketch_may22a.ino: In function 'void PID_HEAT()':
sketch_may22a:240: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may22a:244: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may22a.ino: In function 'void load_pid_settings()':
sketch_may22a:264: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may22a.ino: In function 'void setup()':
sketch_may22a:1011: error: 'myPID' was not declared in this scope
sketch_may22a:1011: error: 'AUTOMATIC' was not declared in this scope

Hi Mattie, its the same issue as above. You need to copy the folders I posted to the libraries folder in the arduino folders.

Latest posts

Back