Master Blend Extract Only

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobboMC

Reaction score
I know the Morgans Master Blend cans are made from 100% grain, and have a combination of some seriously nice grain types.
The thought has crossed my mind to make an all extract brew using 100% master blend cans. I'd hope it would be almost as good as AG without the mashing.

Has anyone tried this?

Yes, it would not be cheap. 4 cans I reckon, plus the hops,
but it would be da*n good.

Actually, all extracts and kits are made from 100% grain, but yes the Masterblends do tend to have more specialty malt content.

4 tins of masterblend would probably cost you the same amount as a fresh wort kit. or a bit more.
if that was the decision, i know what i would be buying..... (the FWK if iwasnt being clear)

Also don't the MB cans have a fair wack of spec grains, which might push it over the top if it was all that went into the brew?

4 cans seems like an awful lot of malt...

I did a quick brew the other day with the Masterblend Lager malt, half a tin of Coopers wheat and a kilo of LDME, bittered to 30IBU with 20g Amarillo @ 60 + 20g Willamette @ 60, 15 and 0 and US05. OG: 1046, FG: <1008. Tasted nice out of the fermenter. Willamette probably not the best pick, but it's all I had on hand.

Gunna try the same basic recipe with Simcoe and Cascade shortly and compare the two. Or maybe just all Simcoe... hmmm...

almost as good as all grain

Nope. Not even close I reckon. Sure they're premium cans of gear, but theres no way they'll compete with some guy in a shed slaving over a precise mix of grains and hops in a cauldron.

Nice idea, but I'd stick with base malt extract and specialty grains. Hell, make up an extract brew with 3kg of malt extract. Now add 350g Crystal, 150g Choc & 50g Black Patent grain steeped and sparged into it and tell me you can replicate that with extracts.

Not a fan of canned 'specialty' extract, I'd rather buy the grain [which is significantly cheaper and allows more finite control] and do the rest myself.

Cheers - boingk

When they were 1kg cans, I made a nice beer with two of the caramalt cans and a kg of ldme - and nelson sauvin from whoa to go. Was very nice. Oodles of caramel.

Nope. Not even close I reckon. Sure they're premium cans of gear, but theres no way they'll compete with some guy in a shed slaving over a precise mix of grains and hops in a cauldron.

Nice idea, but I'd stick with base malt extract and specialty grains. Hell, make up an extract brew with 3kg of malt extract. Now add 350g Crystal, 150g Choc & 50g Black Patent grain steeped and sparged into it and tell me you can replicate that with extracts.

Not a fan of canned 'specialty' extract, I'd rather buy the grain [which is significantly cheaper and allows more finite control] and do the rest myself.

Cheers - boingk

I assume you have made a brew with this recipe

what hops would I try

Easy Porter

1 kg can each of Lagermalt, Caramalt, Dark Crystal, Roasted Black Master Blends.
adding up the equivelent 'grain' bill:

Base Grains
1.9kg pale barley
1.2kg Munich
0.55 kg Vienna

Specialty Grains
0.8kg caramalt
0.8kg dark crsytal
0.16kg roasted black

Total:5.4 kg 24 litres OG 1051 FG 1014 Abv 5.2%

Hop it with typical Fuggles/Goldings boil program.

Somewhat extreme in the specialty grains but it's looks pretty good beer for the level of effort involved.

Latest posts

Back