Massive mishap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fylp

Reaction score
Hey all. Just had my element blow 2 min in to my first step (62c) of an ale. So i went bush mechanic and have fudged some wiring to get it going again. My problem is that it has had a 50 min mash at 62 or so degrees. Now I have it heading up to 67 for the rest of its run, but what will end up with?

Any ideas?

Phil

Probably end up with the best beer you've ever brewed but can never reproduce ever again.

Dry, well attenuated beer.
Hope you know what you're doing with your wiring.

I always run my ales at 66-67 which is a sweet spot for body and fermentability

Little point in doing a step mash for ales, but the Germans seem to like to do one for lagers.

Are you able to take it up to mashout? Might help a little bit.

There's loads of point doing them for any beer. Not necessary but different results to straight single infusion.

With BIAB I raise to mashout with the mash still in place, so as the Alpha Acid rest is fairly quick I suppose you could say that I do a step mash, effectively.

Yeah, least concern will be beer - will still end up with something delicious.

Just make sure the wiring is safe. Loose wires and/or poor earthing = tragedy.

Thanks for the concern fellas. Old hand at wiring. I'll fix it up proper when complete. I got it up to 67 and kept it there for a while. Mashed out and hit my target gravity- very surprisingly. I guess I'll have a thinner pale ale than was expecting. I'm a bit pissed off that the wiring blew, makes me think a shoddy build from keg king.

I think there are some keg king element threads here you need to look at.

A bit down the track on this, but kegged this little trouble maker today. Very light body and dry, but drinkable. I should have thrown in a lager yeast. It is a bit confusing to drink, but might grown on me.

I was referring to more of a deliberate German style mash at 62 then 72 then mashout or whatever. Traditional UK breweries do a single infusion mash but as I posted earlier, while it's gradually raised to a mashout it gets "stepped" anyway. In other words they don't just drain the wort out at 66 degrees then sparge.

Yob said:
Bullshit.. Even pales benefit from time in all enzyme ranges. Stepping results in good fermentability with good body
Unless you're looking to specifically limit fermentability.

I just get better efficiency when I do a short step in the low 60s then do the rest at 67.

Back