Mashout V's No Mashout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you mashout?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I am doing yet another Pilsner but this time I am using 6.5kg's of CZECH PILSNER Malt and 700 grams of WEYERMANN Carapils/foam along with 100grams of Saaz for 60min & 50grams of Saaz for 10min. I guess it will be a bit of a Urquell clone.
As I have always used good Aussie malt I have never found the need to do a temp step mash but this time I plan on doing 50 deg C for 15-20 mins the up to 67 deg C for 60mins. My question is, should I do a mashout? I understand that it stops the enzyme conversion process and all, but I am not sure if its worth sacaficing that water in a mashout when it could be more benefit in the sparge?
What do you all do?

Also should I be doing a 40 deg C acid rest?

I understand that there is a thousand diff. steps that can be done but I just want to keep on making good quality SIMPLE BEER.

STEPHEN

Stephen,

First thing I would do is at least halve the CaraPils. :blink: That's way too much. You'll have no worries with foam in your beer. Don't forget it's effects are similar to crystal malt. You'll wind up with a beer with far too much of a cloyingly-sweet body.

Don't worry about an acid rest. I don't think it's really necessary for this beer and malt. If you want to do a protein rest of sorts do one at about 60c for about 15-20 mins. Then ramp up to your sacc. rest. Higher protein rests will eliminate such a huge jump in temps, particularly important if you're using water as opposed to direct heat for your steps.

Do a mashout if you want. Personally I don't bother merely because I'm lazy. I've never noticed any ill-effects in doing so.

Warren -

if you batch sparge, then your first water addition will bring your mash up to mash out temps. I drain my tun then the first sparge addition is around 83c, this brings the mash temp up to around 75c.

Andrew

Back