Mashmaster Mini/Ozito Spade Handle Drill Assistance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobedogg

Reaction score
Looking for some help with optimal setup with this combo please folks.

Bought the Mashmaster Mini in the recent bulk buy, but due to moving house etc, have only just set it up in the last week or so. Went and got the Ozito as recommended by many, but I just can't get a good crush.

No feeler gauges but I've tried the credit card/myki thing and up and down from there. Also tried the drill at lowest speed and up a bit from there.

It either pulverises the grain or ends up like photo below.

Would love some pointers or even a vid ir someone has one? Cheers in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20180505_110503.jpg
    IMG_20180505_110503.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 215
Not sure of the model you're referring to, my mill i had the same issue but different brand.

There were two knobs at either end, and one of the knobs was dialled in narrower than the other. The result was grain that was overly crushed, and also grain not crushed at all depending on which end it was fed into.

Does this sound like something that could be happening?

looks like mine.I don't have any mash problems. Thought as long as the husks were not shredded or all flour then it was ok.
Bugger now you got me worried.:question:

Not sure of the model you're referring to, my mill i had the same issue but different brand.

There were two knobs at either end, and one of the knobs was dialled in narrower than the other. The result was grain that was overly crushed, and also grain not crushed at all depending on which end it was fed into.

Does this sound like something that could be happening?

I've been really careful to adjust both knobs at the same time. And looking underneath to ensure both rollers are aligned. Maybe I've missed something? I'm getting some husk but to me it looks like too many grains cracked in half compared to what I'm used (have previously had grain crushed at Grain & Grape in Melbourne). Am I right or overthinking it?

looks like mine.I don't have any mash problems. Thought as long as the husks were not shredded or all flour then it was ok.
Bugger now you got me worried.:question:
If you're hitting your numbers and no mash issues...

Just get some feeler gauges and measure the gap at both ends. I have the same mill and I can’t see how you can get an even gap without them.

Do those husks have any uncrushed grain in them? At times I get freaked out with what looks like uncrushed grain, only to realise that I've started drinking too early in the brew day and and that the husks are just whole and the particles of grain haven't dispersed into the mash yet. As some have said earlier, if the numbers look good and there aren't heaps of whole grain once you're done, it's probably fine.

The photo you posted looks OK. if the grain falls apart when you roll it between your fingers then its all good. If some stay intact you need to reduce the gap. Also, go by the markings. Start at a wider setting and using a handful of grain at a time, keep reducing the gap by one mark at a time and check the crush after each run. Note that the markings are a bit counter intuitive...the longer the mark, the smaller the gap. I now just leave the mill set about half way between the 3rd and 4th longer marks and get consistent efficiency.

Back