Mashmaster Fridgemate Probe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fammer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking at ordering one of these and have alreadly asked BrizzyBrew the question but it seems he is away so could anyone with one of these units answer me this:?

Is the probe stainless and suitable for immersion?

What I intend to do is put a compression fitting on the probe and screw it into a socket on the side of a fermenter so that it is in contact with the liquid and can switch a brew heater on/off etc.

If anyone has immersed theirs in liquid could you please post the results

Cheers

The tip of the probe would be water proof but the other end(where the wire goes in) may not be. it is 40mm long and about 5mm wide. hope this helps
probe.jpg

In the thread in the 'retail shop' forum they discuss mounting it in great length. It seems most people either tape it under foam to the side of the fermenter and its accurate enough, or if your like me and wanted to have it in the liquid, then I got some SS thermowells made up (Mark from MHB was nice enough to do this for me, cheers mate!) which are sealed at one end. A lot of people tend to just crimp a corny dip tube and seal it with something food grade. They fit nicely through your airlock gommet (if your using a plastic fermenter) so its good to drill another hole and fit another airlock grommet, then poke the probe down there - Mark recommended using some heat transfer paste on it too (available at electronics stores) on it. I think this was recommended this over immersion the probe in liquid by itself.

The cable seems sealed with silicon or similar and apears waterproof. I have had one imersed in a bottle of water in the beer for some time without any issue.

I have mine just sitting in the fridge anyway. it means the beer will stay at a more contant temp. if the firdge temp flucuated between 18 and 20, the beer will probably sit at about 19deg constantly. If its in the beer, the temp of the beer will go up and down constantly which isnt the best thing. but at least it will be sitting at the right temperautre not a degree or so above form eyast activity. hmmm. ;)

I think i remember one of his post saying it maybe but its not the recomended method

Thanks for the info guys, I am going to PM Sammus about a thermowell.

Hi Fammer

I've got my probe sitting inside a stubbie of water alongside the fermenter. Have had no problems. I initially had it taped to the inside of the fridge wall, but it fluctuated as soon as I opened the door.

cheers

I have mine just sitting in the fridge anyway. it means the beer will stay at a more contant temp. if the firdge temp flucuated between 18 and 20, the beer will probably sit at about 19deg constantly. If its in the beer, the temp of the beer will go up and down constantly which isnt the best thing. but at least it will be sitting at the right temperautre not a degree or so above form eyast activity. hmmm. ;)

Ash,

Having the probe in the beer is the best way (via a thermowell) - switching on & off all the time isn't a problem, takes quite a while for 23L of beer to change temp. It will switch on/off far more frequently if measuring ambient air fridge temp.
At worst stick on outside of fermenter & insulate from ambient air with a bit of foam or something.

cheers Ross

Ash, During the first few days of primary fermentation the beers temperature will be higher than 19C, more likely in the low 20s and after this it will drop down to 19C. Having the probe in a thermo well or taped to the side will keep the temperature under control during this initial activity.

Back