Mashing Vessel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
I've got a bit of free time this avo so I thought I might go shopping for a mash tun :D. I want to get a 40 - 50 ltr cylindrical cooler. Good idea? I figure is would be easier to clean than a box esky.

Not sure if Ill go with a manifold or a false bottom. What do you guys use? What do you recommend? What features should I be looking for in a cooler?

Cheers
Wax

Not an expert on coolers but find one with a tap in it that can be removed. I use a manifold (copper pipe with lots of hacksaw slits in the bottom) and am very happy with it, simple to make and cheap. If you make one just remember to make it smaller so it is about an inch from the sides of the esky to prevent water channeling down the sides.

Good luck, oh and a cheap price is probably an attractive feature! :D

I have the rubbermaid and I am very happy with it

I have since seen a square cooler of this type , it was an Aussie brand , maybe an esky , it was blue with a white lid

Anyway it was a lot cheaper and possiably just as good , I would have got this if I had seen it first

Rubbermaid make the only 10gal cylindrical cooler available in Aus these days. Igloo used to have a range of 10gal coolers including a galvenised shell/ss inside versions but they stopped importing these a year or two ago.....
The square blue water coolers mentioned above are only 5gal.
All Ive seen can be easily fitted with a 1/2" ball valve

ESB make a good false bottom in a couple of sizes to fit these coolers. Ive got one in my 5gal igloo mash tun. Its first rate. never had a stuck sparge - even with my wit which is 40% coarse ground semolina...
A good investment....

Asher for now.....

Wax, this will be my new mash tun which I hope to commission next week.
It is a 36 litre cooler made by Cosmoplast. Cost me $90.00 :D

You will see the tap to the right.

C&B
TDA

MVC_429S.JPG

And here is my 1/2 inch incomplete copper manifold. I hope to finish it this weekend.

C&B
TDA

MVC_430S.JPG

That looks good TDA , not a bad price either

Mine is a 5 gallon , all I require for my brews , only do one batch at a time

Asher ,
By the look of your set up I thought you where using a converted keg

Yep on the square one Batz. It was probably a Coleman 5 gallon one. This is what I have and holds 19-20L and I mash 5kg easily in it but it probably wouldn't hold much more than 6 kilos plus water at a 3L/kg ratio. But it works well for me and cost $55 on sale.

You can kind of see it in this photo. I have seen 5 gallon Igloo ones for $95 at BBQ's Galore in a round design like the Rubbermaids too.

full_setup__small_file_size_.jpg

Yep batz.... Thats Phase 3, still under construction

Phase 2 is my 25 litre 3 tier (on various height tables & chairs) gravity fed setup that has done me proud for the past couple of years. Will be firing it up for the last time this weekend hopefully..

P.S. anyone in perth looking to buy a 25 litre mash setup?

Asher for now

TDA $90!!! how good's that. How is it that the hbs can charge $240 for a 19 ltr one. Sure it comes with a false bottom but they cant be worth that much

ebay might be the go.

Her's a couple of pics of my mash tun and boozaka type screen

And the Boozaka screen

Wax, $90 was an excellent price. I got them at mates rates through www.geminex.com.au They are agents for Kookaburra. I think normal price for the 10US gallon ones is $160.00 from them. It isn't Rubbermaid but Cosmoplast.

C&B
TDA

TDA

That was teh price they quoted me - Geminex and why i went to Grumpys and paid 150.00....

But 90.00 is an excellent price.

TDA,
Where are they located?
Adelaide mob?

OK looked at the website , almost my old stamping ground , my get one when in Adelaide , really could go to the next size

Wax, you have definitely got the bug. However, I think it is best when starting off to go with something cheap and easy like bucket-in-bucket. Once I had a bit of hands on experience with my bucket system I knew what I'd really need when I started parting with money. Best of all, you can start pretty much straight away.

Gunna stick my neck out here and say that I don't agree with you on this one Murray

The mash tun I believe is very important , and for the cost not really a huge investement , I say go for it and buy the best you can , you beers and your taste buds will thankyou.

Go the whole hog....plenty of time to look back and cry later
:blink: :blink:

hey wax,
if you go with making your own manifold, check out howtobrew.com for a few ideas. palmer explains how it should work and why. good stuff
joe

Wax

I would have to go with Murray on this one. I have tried to start cheap and easy, that way I can work out any problems and get what I really want/NEED later.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
I have a rectangular esky for my mash tun beacause I already had one so it didn't cost me anything. I cut a hole in the side and fit a threaded brass bar and fittings so that if I want to upgrade later to something bigger and better I can just put a drain tap on the esky and use it as a normal esky again.

Hoops

Back