Mashing Oat's For A Stout.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I know it has been done on this site before in some detail but i cant find it anywhere. So, when mashing oats for a Oatmeal Stout should i use those "quick 5min OATS" or the plain Oats that take ages to cook?
I was told that the quick oats have had the starch pre-converted so they should only need to be steeped. Sounds like a recipe for porage to me.
The recipe below calls for 900g of Oats,

Ingredients
1500.00 gm Pale Liquid Extract (16 EBC) Extract 25.7 %
2000.00 gm Pale Malt (2 Row) US (4 EBC) Grain 34.2 %
900.00 gm Oats, Flaked (2 EBC) Grain 15.4 %
450.00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (20 EBC) Grain 7.7 %
225.00 gm Cara-Pils/Dextrine (4 EBC) Grain 3.8 %
225.00 gm Chocolate Malt (690 EBC) Grain 3.8 %
225.00 gm Roasted Barley (591 EBC) Grain 3.8 %
120.00 gm Barley, Flaked (3 EBC) Grain 2.1 %
100.00 gm Black (Patent) Malt (1100 EBC) Grain 1.7 %
40.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.5%] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
30.00 gm Cluster [7.0%] (15 min) Hops 7.1 IBU

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.060 SG (1.035-1.060 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG (1.010-1.018 SG)

Estimated Color: 68 EBC (69-394 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 30.3 IBU (20.0-50.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 3.2 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.8 % (3.3-6.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.0 %
Actual Calories per 12 oz: 0 cal

SJW,
I did an oatmeal stout with instant oats and I just through them in the mash with the rest of the grain and mashed them.
The stout came out excellent.
I was told not to use the ordinary variety rolled oats unless you gelatinise it first.
Cheers

SJW,

900g seems like alot of oats, half that amount would be more than enough. Use the uncle toby's quick oats and throw them in the mash. Recipe looks like it will be very rich and tasty.

Andrew

Holy Moses, 900g oats!

In brewing my Burton Old Ale I had 1Kg oatmalt in a tun with 16Kg of pale (MO) for the first time ever sparging was slow, can you say betaglucans? Or Gum?

I would mash the oats with the pale on the stovetop, resting the mash at 40-45C for half an hour. This allows betaglucanase in the pale to break down these Beta-glucans, making sparging a breeze.

You will have the smoothest stout you can imagine! Go for it1

Jovial Monk

Another thing to try is NOT adding all the oats at once in the tun. If you sprinkle them in with the malt alittle-by-little sparging will be less of a problem.
Too many people just dump in a kilo of oats.. Thats why stuck mashes usually occur with bulk oat additions as they form a ball/layer that the sparge water cannot permeate.
Darren

Also in the above recipe whats the best way to get colour (EBC's) up. At the moment it is only 68 EBC, a little light for a stout i think. Maybe use Amber LME?

68EBC??? You sure???

You got 550g of black malts in there (choc/roast/black)

Another 200g roast barley wouldn't go amiss for flavor reasons but it will be dark enough

Jovial Monk

I agree the 500 off grams of roasted grains in there is plenty.
One thing i noticed is you have roast barley at only 591 ebc. Roast barley is usually twice as dark as that at 1200ebc.

Jayse

fwiw i used oatmalt in the mash and all went reasonably well.proof will be in the final drinking.next oatmeal stout will be with the 5 minute variety to see if there is any great difference between the two.

cheers
big d

Steve the Zymologist said:
What about using oats for a kit and kilo type brew.

Any suggestions?
I'm doing a Coopers Stout kit with a partial mash of Ale malt, Oatmeal and some roasted barley. No reason why not. You do need to mash, tho. You can't just steep oatmeal on its own.

Steve,

I have made some Kit stouts where i have steeped some xtal, choc, roast and some oats ( 100gms max) for 2 hours in cold tap water.

Now i dont want to open the mashing oats to steeping debate again.

But i have had no problems with this method. I also use 1 kg of Amber LME and i like the Morgans Dockside stout.

I have boiled the lme and the wort from the steeping grains with bittering hops for 20mins as well as,

After steeping for 2hours, just adding everything to the fermenter with no boiling - i usually dry hop the stout with more hops when i use this method over boiling.

All occasions they turned out good.
The boiling with bittering hops is better for a more fuller balanced beer.

As it is a stout and black - you cant see starch haze and the beer is bit more fuller with the oats.

Hope this helps you out...

GMK said:
Now i dont want to open the mashing oats to steeping debate again.
GMK Wrote>

>I have made some Kit stouts where i have steeped some xtal, choc, roast and >some oats ( 100gms max) for 2 hours in cold tap water.

Why wouldn't you add a kg of pale malt to that and mash. B)

>Now i dont want to open the mashing oats to steeping debate again.

To late.Oats needs mashing. B)

>But i have had no problems with this method. I also use 1 kg of Amber LME and i >like the Morgans Dockside stout.

why do you use a amber malt base when your using grain? I would stick to light malt extract and rely on the grains to give you everything else.
To me amber malt extract is for extract only brewers. B)

>I have boiled the lme and the wort from the steeping grains with bittering hops >for 20mins as well as,

>After steeping for 2hours, just adding everything to the fermenter with no >boiling - i usually dry hop the stout with more hops when i use this method over >boiling.

>All occasions they turned out good.
>The boiling with bittering hops is better for a more fuller balanced beer.

Boiling the wort that you get from the grain is essential to at least make it sterile.
Maybe it has worked for you GMK but my advice would be boil for 10 mins. B)

>As it is a stout and black - you cant see starch haze and the beer is bit more >fuller with the oats.

Maybe some people might not care about this but i love to see the perfectly clear stout with a nice red hue when held up to the light. B)

>Hope this helps you out...

I don't mean to have a go at GMK's style of brewing iam just adding my $0.02 worth.
Hope this adds another angle.
Jayse

Back