Mashing Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackers

Reaction score
reading one of jayse's recent posts
he talked about not sparging his mash, but having enough mash liquor in the tun for the boil to start with, im assuming he heated up the mash before draniing to the boiler.
now i dont have any way of incresing the temp of my mash as i do it in an esky,
but i do have a 'bruheat' boiler grain bag, this bag is designed to fit inside a bruheat boiler.
i was wondering if i ground my grains and placed them in this bag and sat in my converted keg boiler over gas to bring to my mash temp, leave, then increase temp and remove the bag, increase temp further to boiling point and add hops.
would this work as efficiently as a normal mash tun?
i think it might save a little time in the brewing process and in the cleaning afterward.
also this would be the easiest way i could do a stepped mash.
thanks for all advice in advance

cheers
crackers

If you raise temp by pulling a decoction you will increase extract and increase the maltiness of your beer

Jovial Monk

Crackers.
Iam not to sure about using the method you disrcibed as it sounds a little unconventional.

I'll discribe my method of doing a no sparge mash. also look in the palmer book he has all the info there plus how to calculate the water temp and amounts for each step. I just use promash to calculate the water amounts and temps for each step that makes it very easy to calculate final volume and temp.

You will need a bigger mash tun to start with mine is 50litres but the smallest size needed would be a 38litre tun.
The basic idea is you add the water you would use for sparging all into the tun at the end off the mash. The water will need to be around 90-99c which will give you a mash out temp of 78c
For a two step mash with a sacc rest at 66c and a mash out at 78c with 5.5 kg of grain you would mash with around 16.5 litres. Then when the mash is finished add around 20litres of water at around 91c mixing it up as you add it in.
At the end the mash tun will be around 38litres in volume all up thats 32 litres for boil start plus the extra volume for the grain.
The wort will be at your boil start gravity in the tun and the wort left in the grains will be this same gravity.

This method as you can see is just simply adding all the sparge water in one hit to the tun at the end of the mash.

here's multi step mash you could do with 5.5 kg of grain.
no sparge step infusion mash
40c 12 litres 43 c water rest 30 mins
60c 6 litres 99c water rest 30 mins
70c 7 litres 99c water rest 30 mins
78 10 litres 99c water 15 mins recycling
total mash volume 38 litres.

Does that explain the no sparge method crackers?

Cheers Jayse

yeah i understand all that,
i was originally going to use the bruheat bag instead of a manifold in the mash tun
that didnt work, so i built a proper mash tun.

my setup doesnt allow for that size mash at the moment
so i was wondering if this would work in a converted keg with gas
as this is the way a bruheat system works.

ive enquired around before getting my setup, and no one sells bruheat equipment.
not sure where my hbs got the bag from, but hes never had one in again.

i'm may be wrong but it would be like doing a mini mash just at a larger scale?

i may try it this weekend to see how it goes anyway and report next week.

cheers
crackers

p.s.
all hail jayse :D
just kidding, thanks for all your advice.

Back