Mashed in too low

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
G'day guy I'm brewing a Janet's brown at the moment but I mashed in too low. I think because the grain bill was fairly large it dropped my temp more then I planed. I was aiming for 66* but I'm stable at 64.5* after 30 mins. Should I increase the length of my mash or just leave it?

Cheers

Why don't you just fire it up again till you get to your desired temp? Stir mash while raising temp

Add boiling water, stir as you add and check with thermometer until you reach your desired temp. Adjust your sparge volume accordingly.

If I do this, should I extend the mash time? Only got 15mins left

I would just leave it.

To be honest i have been mashing my english ales a bit lower than normal in the last 3 batches and have really liked the results.
I mash at 65 and they drop 64 after 1 hour mash.

Edit, probably not good to mash too low on a mild or other Low Alc beer. But by the sounds of it your grain bill is large so doubt you are making a mild.

Cheers,
D80

just leave it chopdog. I seriously doubt youll notice 1.5° difference in the end product. Maybe I can tell the difference between a 63 mash and a 68, but no way a 64 and a 65.

Add some boiling water to bring it up to 71 or so and leave for another 15min on top of what you're already planning to do.

Should get a nice mix of beta and alpha amylase doing their thing with those temps.

Even leaving it at 64.5 wont be the end of the world. Just hop a little less since it will finish drier than mashed at 66.

just leave it chopdog. I seriously doubt youll notice 1.5° difference in
the end product. Maybe I can tell the difference between a 63 mash and a
68, but no way a 64 and a 65.
I think Mckenry has nailed it Chopdog.

Thanks everyone. Just going to leave it now and hopefully will still be ok.

Cheers

Back