Mashed In At 70c..........

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
I have just accidently mashed in at 70C, after i have realised what temp it was (a mere 5-10mins) i drained the mash tun and kept an eye on the liquor temp to drop to 65C and poured it back in the tun.]

Will she be allright?

Cheers!

_wallace_

If it was only 5 - 10 min I recon it will be ok. Although, why didn't you just add some cold water to bring the temp down? I ofter aim a couple of degrees higher then target then bring it down with a splash of cold water. That way I get the correct mash temp every time.

If your worried about a high dextrins/body, water the beer down a bit and make a low gravity session beer. They are best made with a high mash temp.

Friday night brew night ? could be dangerous!! :)

probably will be the best beer you have ever made, now just to try and recreate it.

QldKev

Just add more hops...

Even if you sort the mash temp out....just add more hops.

It will be fine, you dropped the temp back down pretty quickly and any dextrines you produced at the higher mash temp will be broken down by the lower mash temp.

Mashing at 70C rocks - for some beers.

Don't worry about it too much...

When I first started mashing, I was using a kitchen thermometer that read 5 degrees too low. As a result, I was always mashing around 70-72 degrees and I made some great beers. b-amylase will not last too long at that temp but it will still produce lots of maltose. a-amylase will be very active and will produce fermentable and non-fermentable sugars.

Adding a splash of cold water is a great idea it it happens again.

If your worried about a high dextrins/body, water the beer down a bit and make a low gravity session beer. They are best made with a high mash temp.

Im curious about this. I make mostly low gravity bitters and milds, and always mash around 66. The body is not too light, and they are highly drinkable. FG is usually 1.010 - 1.008, and i use less than 10% crystal for most. I really like the way they come out. Why do you say they are best made with a high mash temp? Dont they end up cloying and sticky?

To relate it to this post, i just did a double batch of mild. Its more on the dry/light bodied style ( for more malty i use lots of biscuit and crystal ), and i accidentally mashed at 70 also. I just left it ( never mashed that high before ). The last batch was around 66c, exact same recipe etc. Will update when im drinking it.

Let us know how it turns out.

If I over shoot the strike temp, I stir the crap out of it and the temps come down quite quickly.

Be careful if you add some cold water. I've ended up below my target temp pretty much every time I've added cold water. Like Malted said, stirring the crap out of it does a top job.

If you are doing a fairly high gravity fuller flavoured beer like a 6% ABV IPA for example, you can mash high and add 500g of dex or 500g maltose syrup and get the best of both worlds (heresy, pitchfork and flaming torch stuff I know but I often do it and get rave reviews from tastings).

The second all grain brew I ever did was a Yorkie which ended up getting mashed at 69 and it won a minicomp 2 weeks later. :p

I also sometimes mash in a little high and have to add a litre of cold water to get it down to 67. But yeah, i've wondered about this before. So the theory is that different enzymes are active at different temperatures. But would more than a few minutes of a higher temperatures 'kill' the lower temperature enzymes? Or do they just 'go to sleep' and wake up if you cool them down? I obviously don't have a very strong understanding of chemistry?!

Back