Mash Tun Thermometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Thought I would post my latest aquisition for the brewery.
It is a digital thermometer which is ideally suited for my mash tun.
It comes from QBrew for $25.00 and it has got a timer built in as well as the temp read out for the mash and a target temp that you can set (LCD on the right).
It unplugs from the probe for cleaning and the probe is about 8" long.
I drilled a 1/8" hole in the side of my rubbermaid and just pushed it in.
It is "U" shaped so that it goes down to near the bottom of the mash.
I recon it is pretty good value at that price and I am in no way connected with Q Brew.
Cheers,

P1010022.JPG

BBB,
Cheers mate !
That's just what I've been looking for , timer included , great !

Going to order one today , have you tried it yet?

And nice website that brew shop has as well , some of my money will be going thier way :unsure:

G'day Batz,
Yep! I have tried it. That photo I pasted is it in action yesterday doing a mash of an AG Grumpys Excelsior.
If you zoom in you will see the left hand side read out is on 66 deg c - just what I wanted.
I have not tried the target temp yet (on rhs) as I was in a hurry.
Used the timer for my boil additions.
I dont know if that little unit is on there web site as I ordered it from a pamphlet that came to me in the mail. I must be on there mailing list.
It would be a top unit for monitering temp on a fermenter fridge as well plus many other uses I guess
Cheers

Yeah Batz,
Just one thing,
Mine didnt have any English instructions with it.
You can work it out easy enough but someone talking in our language would be nice.
If you ring them you might want to mention it to them.
Cheers,

Endless hey big d ?

How to clean the inside of your monitor screenhttp://mirrored.flabber.nl/boob.cursor/ciagnijcycka.swf

I have recieved my digital thermometer and set it up the same as you B B B ,
works great , never been so worried about my mash temperture before :lol:

Shows I have been mashing a little too warm , good to know the correct temp. in the middle of the tun now

I usually give my mash a good stir once or twice during the hour. The sides of the mash can be as much as 3 degrees lower than the centre.
Heres a pic of my thermometer in the tun.

Batz,
It is a lot better than trying to hold a thermometer in the mash.

Andrew.
that looks like a good set up as well.
Yep, now I have a thermometer in the tun I can see when I give it a stir at the 60 min mark the temp increases by one degree cause I have got my probe fitted down the tun near the edge and not in the middle.
In any case I think it as still more accurate than sticking one in during the mash.
Cheers

i heard dick smith sell themo with probs to for around that price

Yep Jazman,
Heard the same thing on another post.
I wish it were true in the DS or Tandy that I have checked.
Mind you, I didnt visit EVERY shop in Australia but I couldn't find anything like it under $50 and Tandy said that they didnt want to know about any of that stuff any more as they were now into computers stereros and other more profitable stuff.
Mind you I was only dealing with the store in Whyalla and asked the attendant to check the catalogue.
These purchases are very easy when you live in the next suburb and can shop any day after work but for us poor buggars that live a little distance from a capital city it is very hard to find this stuff.
Jaz, you are correct that if you can get what you want in the local shop, - then buy it.
When you find a supplier that will not only send you the info on a sales flier, but then is willing to talk to you on the phone, even if he talks your ears off, and then packages and sends it to you for the same price then us fellas in the outer metropolitan areas must think about using their service.
As I said in my original post I have no affiliation with the supplier but my post was only to help anyone, like myself who lives in these outer suburbs.
Cheers

Too true !

Big d and I know what you mean !

Back