Mash Tun Size Advice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
After seeing the AG brew happen at the Brisbane Brew Day, I've gotta do it too - yes Hoops, I'm converted!

I've been thinking about my setup and setup-to-be - and I want to make sure I do it correctly from the outset.

I already have my wort boiler - a 60L stainless drum with two 1380 watt elements in it. Its very pretty - I'll attach a photo. I'm very proud of it!

Anyway, given the volume I have there, I want to ensure I have a mash tun of enough volume. I like the idea of a round esky, but can't seem to find a 40L version - the largest I can find is 23L (campcraft in Brissy - thanks Ross and Sluggerdog).

So the question - is this too small given my capabilities? I don't really want to have to buy more stuff in 3 months time....

If it is too small, where else/what else can I try? I don't want a square esky as I'm no good at stirring around corners! :D :D

Matt

matt_drumelementsin.jpg

where did you ge tthe elements, and how $$$

Round Eskys are hard to get up here, but, maybe conseder a normal 40ltr rectangle one, you dont want to have a huge weight of grist sitting on your manifold, F/B or whatever....if you realy want rounf, what about an insulated beer keg, or a pot the same as you have, get some insulation from clark rubber and away you go.

as for size, how long is a peice of string, are you making high grav beers?, then you want 80ltrs, mild ales, 30ltr will do it.

what you need to be carefull of , if you have a lot of unused space inside your tun, you will have problems holding in the heat, if you have a large tun, and are only making a small beer, you will need a way to keep the temp even and stable, if you fill it up and have a high Liquor to Grist ratio, you will have a hell of a time with pH

so to answer your question.....your tun needs to be the size that your system will alow, if you are going to run a rims/herms get a big one, ...if you want to direct heat youe tun, get a big one, if you cant do this, get a 40ltr and if you make a big beer you mayhave to mash twice or have a low mash ratio.

im loving that kettle, tell us more about it, what is the boiler made from?

Hmmmm - so I'll probably end up needing a couple of different sizes of mash tun - so maybe a small one will be OK to start with.

As far as the boiler goes - I made it a couple of years ago and its actually for another purpose, but can be used for both.

The boiler itself is a food grain 60L stainless steel drum commonly used for export of foodstuffs and olive oils - I bought it from Visy packaging in Brisbane for around $140, but I gather they are around 170 or so now.

The elements are from a home brew store - they are replacement elements for a still spirts still - again I bought them a couple of years ago, and they were around $35 each. You need to ensure that you buy the aluminium nut and power cord when you buy them though!

I mounted the elements through a correct sized hole which I made with a clamp drill bit, and its sealed with washers that came with the kit.

I hope that helps!

Matt

With a 60ltr Kettle - i would go for a 50ltr Mash Tun....

eg a keep cold round insulated or another drum or a keg....

personally i would go for a larger mash tun as sooner or later you will want to do bigger gravity beers that will need the extra space.or you may want to do a double batch.at the end of the day you can still do smaller mashes in the larger tun and it will save on an extra purchase down the track.

cheers
big d

I agree with Big D.
Go the big tun. You can never have too big a mash tun. Once you move to bigger beers such as tripels and barleywines youu won't regret the big capacity.
D

Saw an 80L Keepcold cooler for $100 at Glynde Mitre10 last week, surely Qld Mitre 10s would have the same coolers?

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
Saw an 80L Keepcold cooler for $100 at Glynde Mitre10 last week, surely Qld Mitre 10s would have the same coolers?

Jovial Monk
[post="58346"][/post]​

You would think so but I went to 2 different Mitre 10's on the weekend and both didn't have any keep cold coolers....

Yep. Get as big a one as possible. If you are going AG you will one day need it.

cheers
johnno

Perfect! :super: 57lts is good. Mine is 38lt. Good for 10gal batches of average strength, but not much more. That size you will have no such restrictions.

Bigger the better. :)

Warren -

I'll give the manufacturer a call after work today - I found the Brisbane branch number. How many Brissy people would be interested in one? Will see about bulk pricing....

Matt

Heres the scoop guys - I've got pricing, but will start another thread: Brisbane Mash Tun Bulk Purchase?

Matt

Just watch your temps doing a small mash in a big tun, with the increased surface area to mass ratio you might find the temp dropping over the course of the mash.

You could float a couple of layers of cut-to-size bubble wrap on top of the grist. Would also reduce HSA. :)

Kai said:
Just watch your temps doing a small mash in a big tun, with the increased surface area to mass ratio you might find the temp dropping over the course of the mash.
[post="58398"][/post]​

I use between 4 and 14 kg of grain in a 44 l thin walled esky depending on what og and batch size I aim at. Once I get above 7 kg of grain the temp holds stable for an hour even though there is a fair head space. At 4 kg (single batch mild, big, thin mash layer, large surface area, big head space) I lose about 1 degree in the middle of the mash over an hour.

So it is an effect to consider when doing a small mash, but not major enough to drive you to small tun I dont think. I find the combination of 50 l HLT, 44 L tun, 80 L boiler to be just about perfect for a range of batch sizes and gravities. Although the tun would be better a little bigger, esp for batch sparging.

I'm actually wondering if with the larger Tun I could actually make an adapter to make th elid expand down to near the surface of the liquid/grain - just an internal fiberglass covered foam section that clips on/into or screws on/into/below the main lid.

I don't think I'll be going smaller - the heat loss is something I'll overcome!

So at this stage it looks like 30/40L hot water source (although how that abreviates to HLT I have no idea!); 57L tun; 60L boiler

M

mobrien said:
...although how that abreviates to HLT I have no idea!...
[post="58426"][/post]​

hehehe, that one confused me for a while too. HTL = Hot Liqour Tun/Tank

Back