Mash Tun Queries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dam Manticle you have really out done your self. Looks like you put time in to writing detailed posts, appreciate it mate. And yeah it gives me confidence in my process because I can be quite meticulous learning processes, so I don't plan on doing any brewing untill I have kept reading for a few more weeks. Although I know I'll learn the most performing the process, I still wanna be well infomed.
Cheers all for the posts!

I mash in a keg
Have copper HERMS coil in the sparge water @75'c To maintain temp and step mash
Also direct fire to get to mash out as it would take to long through HERMS @75'c
Never burnt any grain and im not shy with the heat from burner either

Cheers manticle. After this thread and a fair bit of reading I think I'm going to head for the BIAB option with a keggle. It just has to many advantages for my current situation that I cant really say no to. The fact that you only need one burner, one keggle, you can reheat the mash, don't have to worry about filtering (false bottoms and what not). It just seems like a smarter option atm. I'll still be outside and in the great outdoors (what I really wanted), and hopefully can still make some good beer. I was trying to have a search for BIAB results vs AG results but couldn't find much on it. I gather the beers are great from BIAB but are they as good as a single infusion AG?

Just curious to know if you have spent any money on your equipment yet. If you haven't, you can go straight into All Grain without too much expense. I brew in a 40lt Crown exposed element urn which is basically a turn key brewery. I previously owned a 3V Rims set up & went back to simplicity for numerous reasons & am very happy with my decision. I have found that beers made on a 2V, 3V, esky mash tun etc are exactly the same as my BIAB beers. I have found no evidence of one system making better beers than the other. BIAB & no chill just suited my situation & brewing in the electric urn could not be easier, it's great. I brewed a Cascade Pale Ale yesterday & achieved 82% efficiency with BIAB & no chill. In the past, I toyed around with protein rests, step mashes & all kinds of fancy brewing techniques as the Rims system was more than capable of doing this but found my simple single infusion beers were just as good so now that's pretty much all I do. All of these systems are capable of making fantastic beer & it just boils down to what you want to spend & what suits your situation.

Nice one Crusty. I have all but decided that I will go down this route to start with and see how it works out. Seems a no brainer to me. Just have to convince the warden now :D

Back