Mash Tun Pics.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
Here it is:

Mash_tun.JPG

outlet showing securing nut to cooler wall.
Prior to this I was using an insulated keg as a mash tun. I have used this twice and it is well worth the money spent.

outlet1.JPG

Finally, a pommy beer I drank last night.

Taking photos is thirsty work :lol:

MVC_579S.JPG

TDA,

Does this work better than an insulated keg ????

Beers,

IMHO yes. You don't have to worry about insulation and the mash temperature remains constant over a 90 minute period.
I used a bazooka screen in my old mash tun and efficiency was always around 65%. I manage 75% efficiency with the cooler.

C&B
TDA

I have just done a vaguely similar thing here:

brewiki: partial mash #3 You can see the braid inside the esky, I have never seen a bazooka screen in the flesh but I imagine they would work much the same way.

I also made a copper manifold but after I hit 75% last weekend with the SS braid I figured I wouldn't bother with installing the manifold. This might change my mind.

Great pics TDA. Looks like a great setup, might set myself up like this in the future. Any reason the brass threaded pipe is so long? or just haven't got around to trimming it?

Hoops

TDA,

Nice work,
Where did ya get the S/S ball valve from ? Nice unit

JSB

hoopsunitedbrewery, the brass thread is that long so that when I run off the mash and sparge liquor I can have the tun sitting "safely" on a table and not on the edge where it may over-balance.

JSB, I got the ball valve from a friend. I believe tradelink or Mitre 10 may stock them.

Thanks for the comments.

C&B
TDA

tradelink at albert part sell the s/s 316 ball valves

Stumbled across this product this morning
Obviously being down this part of the world it would be cheaper to build your own, but there is enough pictures etc there to be able to use the same idea.

Beers,
Doc

TDA, that's a great mash tun, I would love a round cooler for mashing in.

Here's a pic of what I use, the screen on the bottom is stainless steel mesh, the wort drains out of the esky drainage hole. I have a tap and clear plastic hose connected to the outlet 70-80% eff.

Doc said:
Stumbled across this product this morning
Obviously being down this part of the world it would be cheaper to build your own, but there is enough pictures etc there to be able to use the same idea.

Beers,
Doc
Looks good Doc,

Thanks for the link. The instructions are great - looks like the sort of thing that you could purchase from the local hardware store and put together in bugger all time.

I'm not a plumber or fridgey's armpit, but with this sort of info, I can't see why a DIY mashtun cannot be done! I just gotta get me some 10 Gal coolers!

Cheers,
TL

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
outlet showing securing nut to cooler wall.
Prior to this I was using an insulated keg as a mash tun. I have used this twice and it is well worth the money spent.
TDA,
Dumb questions time :blink: - what size is your threaded pipe and SS ball valve? Is it a 3/4 inch pipe?
Are you using a 1 or 2 piece valve?
I found some SS ball valve specs and prices here...

Cheers,
TL

Thanks for the comment Andrew :)

TL, it is 1/2 inch threaded brass pipe (Mitre 10)and a 1/2 inch one piece ball valve( special friend ;) ) I used a 1/2 inch stainless tailpipe fitting for connecting up the hose for run-off.

C&B
TDA

TL you can get ball valves to fit the threaded brass rod at bunnings. I doubt whether you can get stainless steel ones there. If you are going to use brass fittings then its probably hard to justify the expense of SS (unless you have a special friend).

Plumbers 1/2" means the ID I believe, so the thread itself is more like 3/4.

The kind of tap "I use and recommend" is

TapWithBarb.jpg

Back