Mash Tun build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Mick_

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has built a mash tun using those one piece construction polyethylene coolers? I know their insulation properties are second to none but all the builds I've seen use the traditional esky style. Is this because the traditional ones are hard, HD polyethylene and the others are a bit softer or is it simply because the one piece eskies are substantially more expensive?

You mean like the Techni Ice coolers?
if so, plenty of guys on here are using them
I'm in the progress of upgrading my BIAB rig to a 3V rig using a Bunnings 48 litre "Outer Mark" ice box as my mash tun

Yeah, similar style. I picked up one for a bargain the other day and thought it would be a great mash tun, I know they are great with keeping ice but I was curious weather or not they let off a plastic taste when hot water is used in them

I used to use one and never had any problems at all with plastic taste.
But... The drain hole in mine and others I've seen are a good 1/2 inch or more up from the bottom so you get a bit of dead space. No biggy really if you allow for it.

My lid would also go soft and warp with heat but seemed ok once it cooled down. It never stayed out of shape.

I had a techni ice knock off that I used for a bit. Fine and dandy, no plastic taste.

Sold it because it was 50 L but my 26 L gives me the perfect batch size every time and I was scaling my equipment down. Good insulation etc.

Cool, thanks for the input, I would have liked a smaller one but I couldn't pass up buying a 50L one for $60. Having a look at the drain, it does sit a bit high but will be easy to account for.

Do what I did and drill another hole. Just need to remove the bung and clean properly between brews.

Here's the pic.Stuffed up first time again . . DSCF2344.JPG

Cool, thanks for the pic. What did you make the false bottom from?

Because you only ever see him drinking?

_Mick_, considering he uses a bag I would assume there is no false bottom.

Back