Mash Tun As A Hop Back

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzafish

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been covered, my brief search didn't find anything here.

I was just looking over the the Pelican Brewery's website and when looking at the list of Seasonal Brews I found this beer:

Elemental Ale - (back this fall)
This special, once a year beer is produced with 420 pounds of freshly picked, "wet" Sterling hops from Goschie Farms in Silverton, OR. The hops were only 3 hours from the vine when they went into the kettle. The mash tun was also used as a hop back, holding 300 pounds of hops!!! This beer features a huge floral, spicy, grassy aroma with a firm malt background and a huge, snappy hop finish. Produced using one malt, one hop variety, one yeast and pure coastal water, this is truly an elemental beer.
This years version of Elemental Ale was inspired by Nigel Tufnel and his amp that goes to eleven, and to celebrate Head Brewer Darron Welch's eleven years of brewing at the Pelican Pub & Brewery (Check out pictures of the brewing session!!!)

Ingredients:

2 Row malt
Fresh picked Sterling
hops from Goschie Farms
Pure local water
Pure ale yeast

Brewing Specifications :
12.9 degree Plato
Alcohol: 5.7% by volume
Bitterness: 111.11 IBU

The interesting thing is that they used a Mash Tun as a Hop Back

Leaving the whole wet hopping debate aside... has anyone used their mash tun as a hop back?
I'm kinda inspired!

Cheers,
Jarrad

depending on the type of material the mash tun is made out off it would be good..

I for one wouldn't go putting ~90-100deg wort through a esky, your asking for it to distort.

One craft brewer in WA does.

Good stuff!

May try it one day. Either way, the pics of their process is pretty cool. The guys look pretty keen on the idea!

Another one thought about it, but it must make one hell of a mess of your mash tun Randall and myself is not a great lover of lifting the plates and giving them love at the best of times.
No, not really. whole flowers hose straight off wedge wire. I pull my plates after each brew anyway.

I have chucked a whole heap of fresh POR flowers into my old bucket in bucket mash tun for a hop back once quite some time ago before I built the smaller airtight jobby out of a big jar.
The mash tun did the job pretty well I thought and laugh all you like but POR flowers worked well too being nice and fresh.
It was a standard aussie sparkling ale type beer.

It was a fair while ago but I think I added a extra layer of screen via a wire mesh strainer on top of the bucket with holes drilled aswell.

I have chucked a whole heap of fresh POR flowers into my old bucket in bucket mash tun for a hop back once quite some time ago before I built the smaller airtight jobby out of a big jar.
The mash tun did the job pretty well I thought and laugh all you like but POR flowers worked well too being nice and fresh.
It was a standard aussie sparkling ale type beer.

It was a fair while ago but I think I added a extra layer of screen via a wire mesh strainer on top of the bucket with holes drilled aswell.

Hey, I'm not laughing. I dry hopped with homegrown POR once and it was really nice. Can't understand the bad wrap POR gets. Its a really versatile hop.

Hey, I'm not laughing. I dry hopped with homegrown POR once and it was really nice. Can't understand the bad wrap POR gets. Its a really versatile hop.

The Pride of Ringwood hop was bred from a cross of 'Pride of Kent' and a wild hop. I believe that Pride of Kent is related to Goldings.

This parentage explains why it is a great flavour hop - it is only its high co-humulone level that gives it a harsh bitterness.

HTH

David

Back