mash to high for apa, what now?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
currently still fermenting away I brew a simple smash APA using golden promise and cascade hops
yeast i used BRY-97
i mashed at 69 by accident and now stressing it will be sweet?
could i add some dex now while stilling fermenting? will this lower fg and dry it out?

cheers

A dex addition will only up the alcohol, afik you can't change un fermentable's back.
I'm sure Somone will say add some Brett.
I would just leave it and see what you get.

Also bry97 is known to not attenuate well. I like it. Gets in, ferments quick and drops well. I like the nut brown bread taste.

You could always throw in a pack of dry enzyme from your HBS. Let some enzymes do a bit of slicing and dicing. Not perfect, but not a disaster. Should allow it to drop 4-5 points at least.

as stu said its fine. saying that id brew a second of the same recipe and mash low then blend.

As others have stated it will be fine.

Given you haven't got any spec grain in there, it is unlikely to be overly sweet when it finished. Your FG might be a little higher than predicted, but I reckon it will still be a very drinkable beer.

Out of interest, what was your hop schedule?

JD

I brewed my first AG at 69 and
<story>

The wort tasted nowhere near as sweet as the wort you get from a kit and kilo. I was worried that the mash had somehow failed, so I bunged in a kilo of dex.
After five pints each my mate and I were crawling around expressing our manly (and quite decent of course) love for each other, and Princess Diana as well.

I'd suggest half a kilo of dex max if you are worried about low alcohol yiels, but 69 shouldn't make too much difference.

I mash high on the odd occasion I do a 72 degree mash for high body and low alcohol but (edit: find that below 70 it doesn't seem to make a big difference as the beta amylase is still plugging away, if a bit slower) so 69 shouldn't give you any problems. I'd venture a guess that the mash probably spent some time below 69 during sparging, draining bag or whatever method you use, so extra conversion would have happened there as well.

As per others, 69 is fine. It will probably have a little more body and mouthfeel than if you'd mashed lower, but as you only used GP it shouldn't be sweet.

I would throw a little bit of dex in and make sure you are around 2.5vol CO2 or even a touchhhigher to lighten the mouthfeel.

It won't be very high in alcohol so it's not exactly going to be a heavy beer to drink (like Northern Harvest for eg) anyway.

How long was the mash at 69c for? The beta-boys (amylase) are still active so once all the sugars are converted an extended mash will still thinnen out the beer.

Don't stress.....see how it turns out. I vote no dex!

lukasfab said:
<snip>
...will be sweet?
<snip>
Mashing high generally yields more unfermentable sugars. Unfermentable sugars are longer chain sugars. All brewers yeast can ferment monosaccharides and disaccharides (glucose, fructose, sucrose etc. up to maltose) but their ability to ferment trisaccharides (maltotriose etc.) largely determines the strain's attenuation characteristics (along with flocculation). Larger than trisaccharides generally aren't fermentable.

It's these longer ones that you're worried about, but the good news is they're not actually very sweet - they tend to add body and mouthfeel but not really sweetness. A good rule of thumb is that the smaller the sugar molecule the sweeter it will taste. A beer is much more likely to turn out sweet if no attenuated properly (i.e. fermentable sugars are left unfermented).

So my answer is no, you're beer probably won't be too sweet if you let it ferment out properly, just full bodied. :)

thanks guys, good answers here.
i think i will just let it be.
just looked at my notes and it was 1.043, was aiming for 1.048, not sure why but this was my first time doing full volume biab and first brew in the urn so need to dial in, pretty sure volumes were all good.

to answer some questions asked,
mash was just the 1hr maybe another 10min by the time i pulled the bag, no sparge
hop schedule was 20g @ 60 and 30g each @ 10 5 & flame out of cascade
gauge should be ok since last time i checked

not worried about abv as i wanted something easy going anyway, just though it would come out sweet.
thanks all, i will report back when ready

Most of the conversion is done within the first 20-30mins. Sparging does not affect the conversion.

Latest posts

Back