Mash Temperature Vs Fermentability - The Calculation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwmingis

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well I've found calculations for most elements of the brewing process. I know how to figure out OG very easily, and I know how to estimate FG given a known apparent attenuation, however, I have been unable to find anything about estimating the fermentability of a wort knowing the main saccharification rest.

I know yeast are given a standard range of AA and from experience, I've always reached the maximum end of the range or even better in some cases (probably due to some dodgy wild yeast in my mix, but for the sake of argument). If I was to work on the maximum AA every time, does anyone know how to modify this number given a mash temp say 63 or 68? Or is it just something to chalk up to the subjective side of brewing?

Cheers,

Rob

It's relativesly subjective, due to differing wort compositions, as well as mash temp....a reasonable guestimation can be made from plotting the log data from FFT experimentation.....but it is still dependant on the specific grist makeup. Time thickness of mash, as well as mash chem, all play a part in it as well, so it's not really something that can be predicted as a generalisation.
have a read of
this

and this

It's relativesly subjective, due to differing wort compositions, as well as mash temp....a reasonable guestimation can be made from plotting the log data from FFT experimentation.....but it is still dependant on the specific grist makeup. Time thickness of mash, as well as mash chem, all play a part in it as well, so it's not really something that can be predicted as a generalisation.
have a read of
this

and this

Thanks Butters, that's exactly what I was looking for, a way to make an educated guess. Like this table especially.

Temperature 140F (60C) 149F (65C) 160F (70C) 167F (75C)
apparent limit of attenuation 87.5% 86.5 % 76.8% 54.0 %

Cheers,

Rob

Latest posts

Back