mash temp too warm?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Let's Brew Beer

Let's Brew Beer!
Reaction score
I've just put down a pilsner mini-mash and as my temperature control consists of covering my pot with a cuppla towels its difficult to hold temps lol, my target mash temp was 68C @ 60 mins but unfortunantly i noticed it got around the 73C-75C mark, my mash bill was 1KG Bohemian Pilsner, 1KG Munich Malt and using 500g Carapils as my specialty malt, so can i expect anything funky as a result of mashing too high?

My mini mash has sometimes got away from me for a short amount of time, up to those temps, I haven't noticed any off flavours, though as I say, it was only briefly

you may find that you've denatured the enzymes and their may not be enough simple sugars to fully attenuate out

Does that mean it won't fully attenuate? my yeast was M84 Mangrove Jacks Bohemian Pilsner yeast, which says 100% attenuation on the packet it fermented around 10C-15C.

Ferg pretty much summed it up. Those temps would of likely killed off any enzymes in the grain that are necessary for converting the starches in the grains to sugars. Hence why it was stated that it may not attenuate as you expect as there wont be as much simple sugar for the yeast to process

i would say the starch was all fully converted no worries but will be mostly longer chain sugars any way so as has been said attenuation wont be all that great. also for into the future 68 would be to high for a pils and wouldnt attenuate all that low anyway.

Back