Mash temp too high?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
After elsewhere that people generally dump their grain in during BIAB and then stir after and have no issues with dough balls, I decided to give this a crack. However I ended up with dough balls and spent a good ten minutes breaking them up. During this time, the temperature dropped a bit, so I turned on the gas ring for a bit to get it back up around 69. Anyway I did not stir frequently enough and after about 20 mins with the burner on, I stirred and the temp jumped up to 73.

Immediately I turned it off and then wrapped up the tun to insulate as I figured the temp would drop down eventually (I've had it dropped 5-6 degrees before). Come and see back 50 minutes later and its still 73 (of course I insulated it this time out of all times). I'm about to check my pre boil OG, but should I be worried about my mash?

Can you do an iodine test to see if it converted ok?

No unfortunately I don't have one of those. Guess it's time.. What does the iodine test do again?
Test for starch. If you had any iodine or Iodophor to hand put a spoonful of the mash on to a white saucer add a couple drops of iodine and if it turns black or dark purple mash hasn’t converted.

Also, excessive dough balls are usually down to milling too fine. Try widening the gap on your mill next time.

I use a big cheap whisk to stir the mash, cant believe how much easier it is to get rid of dough balls fast

You are likely to find the FG will be higher than you were expecting so lower ABV and sweeter end product.

You are likely to find the FG will be higher than you were expecting so lower ABV and sweeter end product.
I assume the OP must have been aiming for a full body beer anyway as turned on the gas ring to try and get the temp back up around 69.

May even end up a bit drier than intended as temp dropped for a good 10 mins while stirring dough balls.

Shouldn't have wrapped it. I've done similar, but I tend to mash at less than full volume, so I add water to bring it down quicker. The enzymes don't magically all denature at reasonable temperatures, but by wrapping it you kept it warm. Probably trash - try the iodine test as mentioned above, but don't hold your breath. You can buy tincture of iodine at your local chemist if you don't have another source.

Have you tried to put the grain and bag in first and then underlet the water(bring it in from the bottom) I under let my mash tun and have never had Dough ball problems, as has been said though could be I have a courser crack of the grain.
Norto

Also, excessive dough balls are usually down to milling too fine. Try widening the gap on your mill next time.
I should have worded this post a bit better and said dough balls are often or can be rather than are usually caused by milling too fine.

A couple years back I was course crushing but getting excessive dough balls along with other problems and it turned out that the knurled rollers on my MashMaster mill was the cause of the problems as the tips of knurling had worn flat . There is a thread on here somewhere about the problems with the MashMaster knurled rollers.

After replacing just one of the faulty rollers with a new fluted roller the mill worked fine and I was getting no dough balls. Lots of other members who replaced their faulty rollers at the time also reported getting zero dough balls after the swap.

Just recently though I have been getting a few again so suspect that the fluting on the replacement roller may be wearing out.

I do full volume BIAB, I always stir as I steadily add the grain and never once had a dough ball! I've never even considered dumping it all and then stirring..

Still getting hardly any dough balls with my mill, I was one of those who got one of the replacement fluted rollers. Might get one or two small ones towards the end of doughing in when it gets a bit thicker in there but that's about it.

So the verdict is in, 5 days after pitching the yeast. FG reading came in at 1022, 7 points higher than BS predicted. Coming from 1060, results in a 5% ABV. Safe to assume the missing 7 points might be from unfermentable sugars from the high mash temp? Or maybe some is from error in BS calculation?

Nope, sounds about right. Higher mash ends up in lower ABV. Still fine to drink I reckon

5 days and 65% attenuation? Sounds too early to me. I would wait another week. What yeast are you using? And what temp are you fermenting?

5 days and 65% attenuation? Sounds too early to me. I would wait another week. What yeast are you using? And what temp are you fermenting?

Maybe, I'd be surprised if it got any lower. I'll take another reading in 4 or so days when I keg it, I just dry hopped it. Using Wyeast 1056 with temp at 18.5 to 20C

The high mash temp would affect the attenuation, resulting in a higher FG.

Back