Mash temp too high?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey OP, just saw this thread and found it quite interesting.
I haven't been very active one the forum for a while, while I've brewing full-time in Germany and now currently studying a Braumeister degree.

As a tip for next time (if you're worried about this happening again), before mashing-in, keep 30% of your malt off to the side in "reserve". If you happen to find your mash sitting at 72*C and are worried that you've skipped the Beta-Amylase rest (60-65*C), make another little "cold" mash with the "reserve" Malt at around 35-40*C. Add that to your proper mash and to end up with a mash temp at around 60-65*C.(Note: depending on quantities and start temps, you'll have to adjust the temp of the "reserve-mash")

The reason for doing this (i.e. introduce "fresh"malt the mash) instead of just adding cold water, is to bring healthy enzymes back into the mix. (After sitting at 70*C+ for a while, the ß-Amylase will mostly be pretty kaputt).
You'll also have the added benefit of targeting the Endo- and Exo-ß-Glucanasen and Maltasen at that sub-40*C. This will potentially be beneficial whilst lautering (theoretically - but perhaps neglible depending the malt quality... but either way it won't hurt).
Depending on the protein content of the malt, you could do a little protein rest between 50-60*C (if you typically have fermentation difficulties, aim for 50-55C for a bit - that'll give you more low-molecular Protein, soluble Nitrogen and free aminoacids: Yeast nutrition!)

Then do your normal ß-Amylase rest, another small rest at 72,, then 78*C mash-out.
;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the above, but I have made similar mistakes and maybe can add a couple of tips:
In future, if you overshoot, just add cold water to bring temps down - don't add insulation until you get below 68C (for a heavy, no problems if it falls too low.)
I made a similar mistake recently - I left both elements on to bring temp up, but when I gave it a good stir it dropped a lot. Aeration is a lot less important at the mash stage than some would have you believe.
If you get temperature low soon enough, just leave it 90 minutes instead of 60 - this is also the ideal time to add "dry enzyme" if it has spent more than 10 minutes above say 4C.
If all that fails and you decide to go ahead, leave it at an appropriate fermentation temperature for a few weeks, preferably with the additon of dry enzyme. Still might save the brew.

I have never had dough balls as I always tip a third in then stir repeat you will see in the grain farther vids he does exactly that,just change your technique a bit see how that goes

Oh, and you don't need anything fancy to check for conversion - your local chemist should have "tincture of iodine" (iodine in ethanol) which will react accordingly - it changes colour if their is significant starch in your sample.

Latest posts

Back