Mash schedule

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right, that had crossed my mind.... and then been forgotten about. I might give that a go tonight....

Is it possible that it's your yeast letting you down? How big was the batch size, and about how many billion cells did you pitch? What was the manufacture date on the pack and, how had it been stored prior to you buying it?

JD

Wall said:
Usually star San the shit out of the fridge and everything in sight first.
What would be the point of that? Just paranoia? I've never understood the perception that exposing your finished beer to a bit of air is putting it at risk of infection. Oxidation yes, but infection? It's the same air that we try to get as much as possible into our wort before fermentation so what changes after the beer is brewed? I would say the only thing that has changed is that your beer is at much less risk of infection from any source due to the presence of alcohol.

JDW81 said:
Is it possible that it's your yeast letting you down? How big was the batch size, and about how many billion cells did you pitch? What was the manufacture date on the pack and, how had it been stored prior to you buying it?

JD
It absolutely is my yeast letting me down, but just not sure 100% why.

I had just over 22l into the FV of 1.043 wort, and dry pitched a fresh pack of MJ M20, I don't remember the use by date on it, but it was handed to me fridge cold, and remained in the freezer until use (allowed to warm up from freezer temps first before pitching).

I specifically dry pitched, in order to reduce cell count to promote banana flavour. However, the resultant beer does not have significant banana aroma, although it is tasty!

you know with whole wheat thing - I'm considering some advice Jerry gave to George in Seinfeld. "If every instinct you have is wrong then the opposite would have to be correct"

You stored the dry yeast in the freezer?? That will probably explain your stalled ferment.

Wes

I don't reckon so, MJ website recommends storing in the freezer for best viability.

I have always stored dried yeast sachets in the freezer.....

Here is a bit of brewing advice worth paying attention to.
When Wes elects to give advice - Take it!

Mark

Fair enough.... Only because both of you said so though, ha ha!

No offence Wes, just haven't seen many of your posts before... I guess demonstrated by the difference in post count between yourself and MHB/Manticle.

Seriously though, I could have sworn there was a thread on this topic a week or two ago and the consensus was that freezing while dried was not detrimental to yeast health....

I guess I will have to modify my process and see if there is a difference....

Website says 'store in the fridge'.

There is something on danstar/lallemand site about their yeast being ok to freeze if vacuum sealed.

Wes is a man of few words but in my experience, those words are worthwhile.

Post count does not equal wisdom or knowledge.

manticle said:
Wes is a man of few words but in my experience, those words are worthwhile.

Post count does not equal wisdom or knowledge.
TB said it better than I ever could;

"When these AHB members start talking - I start listening

Dr K
Wessmith
Dr Smurto
MHB"

Matplat said:
Snip
I specifically dry pitched, in order to reduce cell count to promote banana flavour. However, the resultant beer does not have significant banana aroma, although it is tasty!
I have never found a dry wheat yeast that really does throw much banana, if that is what you are looking for you will need a liquid culture my favourite is W 3068.
Unfortunately people have reported less than optimum performance on recultured high banana wheat yeast - I think you would need to be very careful with your reculturing to get the most out of it.

One other point is this notion about under-pitching wheat yeast, there was some research that indicated that pitching at the lower end of the normal Ale pitching range (0.4-1 million cells/mL/oP) if you pitched a packet of fresh Wyeast into 23L of wort, 1*10^11 cells into 23,000 ml is about 4.35milion cells/mL. Pitching at 0.4*10^6/mL at 1.043 (10.7oP) would call for 4.28 Million cells/mL. Pretty much a minimum pitch. Also a long way from under pitching, yeast that is struggling wont do anything good for you brewing or beer.

I think if you get a good fresh yeast culture, add the glucose as discussed previously, aerate well and control the temperature properly you should make a cracking good banabarama brew!
Mark

Coodgee said:
What would be the point of that? Just paranoia? I've never understood the perception that exposing your finished beer to a bit of air is putting it at risk of infection. Oxidation yes, but infection? It's the same air that we try to get as much as possible into our wort before fermentation so what changes after the beer is brewed? I would say the only thing that has changed is that your beer is at much less risk of infection from any source due to the presence of alcohol.
It was intended to be a gentle joke about paranoia of infection that we all seem to have.
Stirring up the trub and getting things into suspension has saved me pitching extra yeast once or twice in the past.

Personally I sanitise the living bejesus out of everything that comes into contact with my beer from the moment the boil starts and clean everything thoroughly on the mash side.
The upshot?
I've had little issue with wild yeast infections.

Late in the ferment I get wary about any exposure to air as I see some contaminants as fairly alcohol tolerant (wild yeast for one). With lowered yeast activity there's more chance for the population to grow up without competition. Probably a fallacy but one that makes my paranoia happy.

Wasn't literally trying to create the impression that I run around star sanning my entire house like a crack addled scullery maid every time I go near the fermenter.

Back