Mash recirculation. To disturb or not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
I feel like this is something I should know but after BIAGing for years I don't. When recirculating during the mash should you try not to disturb the grain bed? Are there pros and cons for doing./not doing?

My bro just got a robobrew and I initially thought he should run the silicon tube to the middle of the grains to continually disturb but after consulting Dr Google I'm not so sure...

I stir between batch sparges (esky mash tun) It releases the sugars and you get better efficiency. Let settle and Vorlauf well to get clear wort.
May be I get some extra tannin's as a con to that but I'm not a good enough judge to confirm that. Works for me.

When recirculating during the mash should you try not to disturb the grain bed? Are there pros and cons for doing./not doing?

In commercial brewing it is normal practice to stir the mash continually. This is probably a holdover from the days where such procedures were necessary to deal with the level of modification in the available malts and particularly multi step mashing.

It won't influence phenolics much: the principle determinant of phenolic extraction is exposure of the husks to high temperatures: extraction rate is about 4 times higher at 80 degrees than it was at 60.

I don't touch the grain bed post mash in these days (used to in the past with BIAB as it was the rage at the time - now 3V) - that's utilising a HERMS on a 100L system and fly sparging to achieve on average a 90%+ mash efficiency. I find there is no need to mess with the set bed on my particular system at the moment. Keep records to assist with your decision making.

Never used a robobrew so this may not be an issue but I usually find that with high wheat content I need to stir a few times to stop the mash from settling and sticking.
After about 20 mins this seems to stop being an issue (assume this is to do with gelatinisation and initial conversion)
I find that for any other recipe after mash in running the pump at the right rate makes it unnecessary.

I'll usually stir it at least once for peace of mind though whatever the recipe cos I can't help myself when it comes to fiddling with stuff constantly.

I feel like this is something I should know but after BIAGing for years I don't. When recirculating during the mash should you try not to disturb the grain bed? Are there pros and cons for doing./not doing?

My bro just got a robobrew and I initially thought he should run the silicon tube to the middle of the grains to continually disturb but after consulting Dr Google I'm not so sure...
Doesn't seem to make any difference with the Guten, TBH I thought it would as the grain bed does not move like it does in the BM, the silicone tube position shouldn't make any difference either as the wort is continually draining through the bed.

There is no right or wrong way of doing things I stir 2 to 3 times during the mash so whatever floats your boat .:drinkingbeer:

Excellent thanks everyone. Good to know I wasn't wrong....... or right.

Latest posts

Back