Mash Paddle Made From Pine?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How thick is the mesh? I've seen false bottoms (reasonably sturdy SS ones) collapse beneath the weight of high gravity double batch.

I liked the look of this mash paddle

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-mash-paddle-75713/

DSC01114-1.jpg

The downside is, yes it is not SS316 and would probably not help ward off a zombie attack, too 'weak'. SS paddle carve ups look good too and might save your life.

med_gallery_7239_412_162615.jpg

Victorian blackwood, weighs a ton, could crack zombie skulls for hours without breaking.

I keep it beside my bed, in case of home invasion.

Very nice. Looks rock solid. Dual purpose mash paddle/lathi FTW!

@Truman - don't buy wood from Bunnings, try a timber yard or just anywhere that isn't Bunnings.

Shit mate, I can't remember. I bought it about 15 years ago and it was for cooking purposes (I bought a few at the time). I still use most of them for cooking but the longest has been re-allocated to brewing duties.

You can get quotes from cedar and my experience with them is that they compare very favourably to other hospitality supply shops (not sure on postage - I live within walking distance) but any reasonable hospitality supplier will have the same item. It's just a stainless serving/basting spoon and every commercial kitchen has dozens. You can get them slotted (female) or solid (male). Slotted looks more along the lines of most mash paddles but the solid one cuts through dough balls pretty well.

I keep it beside my bed, in case of home invasion.

You sure its not actually in your bed... infactuation? :ph34r:

I now use a beerbelly SS mash paddle (I previously used a large wooden with holes in it too though).

I made mine from the christmas tree. Too small for a soundboard, but perfect for a paddle.

How thick is the mesh? I've seen false bottoms (reasonably sturdy SS ones) collapse beneath the weight of high gravity double batch.

It wasn't that thick so your right probably would collapse.

Very nice. Looks rock solid. Dual purpose mash paddle/lathi FTW!

@Truman - don't buy wood from Bunnings, try a timber yard or just anywhere that isn't Bunnings.

Why is that mate??

You got your answer when you asked for something other than crappy pine today :)

Ive cut my mash paddle out of Tassie oak but do I need to oil it at all?

I recall reading a thread somewhere about rubbing salad oil into the wood? (Cant find it now though) And soaking it in water to remove the excess.

What is that exactly, just salad dressing of some sort?

It seems for every person that says you need to oil the paddle there is someone else saying not to bother, just keep it raw or you will end up with the oil in your mash.

So what do you guys do?

Edit: "Salad bowl oil" Just found it further back in post #15. So what is that exactly HSB and where do you get it? Is it just mineral oil?

What about a food grade clear coat/ Or some of that liquid glass?

Use paraffin oil. Paraffin oil and beeswax combo are the best thing to use on wood chopping boards, probably wouldn't need the beeswax for a mash paddle but it may not hurt either? Paraffin oil is food grade, odorless and colorless.

I also feed it to the dog when he scoffs too many beef bones and has trouble taking a crap ;)

Use paraffin oil. Paraffin oil and beeswax combo are the best thing to use on wood chopping boards, probably wouldn't need the beeswax for a mash paddle but it may not hurt either? Paraffin oil is food grade, odorless and colorless.

I also feed it to the dog when he scoffs too many beef bones and has trouble taking a crap ;)

If it's good 'nuff for your dog then it's good 'nuff for us....

Ive cut my mash paddle out of Tassie oak but do I need to oil it at all?

I recall reading a thread somewhere about rubbing salad oil into the wood? (Cant find it now though) And soaking it in water to remove the excess.

What is that exactly, just salad dressing of some sort?

It seems for every person that says you need to oil the paddle there is someone else saying not to bother, just keep it raw or you will end up with the oil in your mash.

So what do you guys do?

Edit: "Salad bowl oil" Just found it further back in post #15. So what is that exactly HSB and where do you get it? Is it just mineral oil?

FWIW I've got a wooden paddle, had it a couple of years, never oiled it and it is fine. I just give it a spray with starsan before use and I've never had a problem.

Might upgrade to stainless one day, but my lowly student budget won't stretch that far at the moment.

JD.

truman,i personally wouldnt go with pine because of the resins in it.
this could give a pine ale! i think the same would happen with cedar and a cedar paddle wont last long as cedar doesnt have any strength in it,also i wouldnt oil/varnish/coat a mash paddle with anything as it could contaminate your brew
.........cheers......spog......... quote name='Truman' date='May 7 2012, 09:31 AM' post='908929']
Gday gents,

Just wondering if a mash paddle can be made from 1/2 inch thick pine? We have some skid pallets here at work with raw pine slats on them that are 1/2 inch thick and I was going to have a go at making a mash paddle.
[/quote]

Latest posts

Back