Mash Paddle Made From Pine?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Gday gents,

Just wondering if a mash paddle can be made from 1/2 inch thick pine? We have some skid pallets here at work with raw pine slats on them that are 1/2 inch thick and I was going to have a go at making a mash paddle.

You sure it's not treated pine, cause there is no way treated pine would be in my brew house.

Get a bit of cedar, cherry or similar. It'll cost you all of $5 from a timber yard/Mitre 10 etc.
Why would you want to stick a skid pallet in your mash?

Get a bit of cedar, cherry or similar. It'll cost you all of $5 from a timber yard/Mitre 10 etc.
Why would you want to stick a skid pallet in your mash?

Shit is that all? I thought all that fancy wood was bloody expensive. Its a brand new skid but as Kev says I suppose it might be treated pine.

Thanks, I'll get some cedar from Bunnings.

Shit is that all? I thought all that fancy wood was bloody expensive. Its a brand new skid but as Kev says I suppose it might be treated pine.

Thanks, I'll get some cedar from Bunnings.

Bunnings hardwood is nearly all various vic/tas eucalypt species.

Exactly what I use. Think I even bought it from cedar too.

You just cant beat a stainless spoon. B)

The first bit of bling I upgraded to from the infamous brewcraft plastic mash paddle. :rolleyes:

Not as fun as making it yourself, but Ross has large s/s mash paddles fairly cheap. Mine is 915mm long, and I'm pretty sure it was under $20. Then you don;t have to worry about anything funky growing on it. Just an idea

Another here for the 750mm SS paddle. Nice little upgrade from my small $2 slotted spoon....

Sponge

Not as fun as making it yourself, but Ross has large s/s mash paddles fairly cheap. Mine is 915mm long, and I'm pretty sure it was under $20. Then you don;t have to worry about anything funky growing on it. Just an idea

I agree Kev, its fun to make it yourself and everything I build instead of buy means more funds towards the things I cant build.

We had some maranti here that one of the guys took home. He's going to bring me in a piece. Will that do?

Here's my attempt from a bit of cedar from Mitre 10

Cost was $4.50 for the wood, about an hour of jigsaw/drill/sanding and then a rub with 'salad bowl' oil and soak until the oil aroma dropped off.
The benefit was I made it myself, it's the perfect height for my setup and it does a great job, no more dough balls.
The downside is, yes it is not SS316 and would probably not help ward off a zombie attack, too 'weak'. SS paddle carve ups look good too and might save your life.

.............The downside is, yes it is not SS316 and would probably not help ward off a zombie attack, too 'weak'. SS paddle carve ups look good too and might save your life.

I never thought of that. You need to be able to slice down through their skull and into their brain. A wooden mash paddle couldn't do that....(Im a Walking Dead fan, downloaded Season 1 and 2 and watched it with my sons.. :D )

Nice mash paddle you have there anyway.

Here's my attempt from a bit of cedar from Mitre 10

Cost was $4.50 for the wood, about an hour of jigsaw/drill/sanding and then a rub with 'salad bowl' oil and soak until the oil aroma dropped off.
The benefit was I made it myself, it's the perfect height for my setup and it does a great job, no more dough balls.
The downside is, yes it is not SS316 and would probably not help ward off a zombie attack, too 'weak'. SS paddle carve ups look good too and might save your life.
That looks awesome, when you you say soak, you mean soak in water?

I never thought of that. You need to be able to slice down through their skull and into their brain. A wooden mash paddle couldn't do that....(Im a Walking Dead fan, downloaded Season 1 and 2 and watched it with my sons.. :D )

Nice mash paddle you have there anyway.

You could rub garlic into it, get rid of the vampires

Soak -> yes, just gave it a good soaking for 10, wipe it off and repeat until the citrus smell from the salad oil disappeared. I'm sure there are better oils you could probably use, anything to waterproof it.

Garlic - nice idea, should have worked a cross in there somewhere and a spiky end too, just in case. On the Walking Dead tip, maybe a drilled out baseball bat might satisfy both needs better? :D

It wasn't hard to find inspiration:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=mash+pad...zK6fMmAXrlLXhBA

Fun little diversion, whatever medium you choose.

Went to Bunnings and asked the guy for some cedar. They didnt have any. So I said I need some wood that I can put in hot water regularly for stirring, like a wooden spoon.

He says, Oh are you making a mash paddle? :D

First time anyone at Bunnings has had a clue and it had nothing to do with home improvements or handyman stuff.

While I was there I found some mesh storage baskets. They have holes in them about 4mm in size. Could they be used as a false bottom if they fitted into your esky, or would the holes be too big?

They were powder coated so would probably rust if you had to cut them to size.

mesh2.JPG

Back