Mash paddle from a single plank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoobs

Reaction score
I figured I'd make myself a mash paddle on the weekend. I wanted something a bit traditional looking, but couldn't be bothered dealing with doweled joints.

Hence, I came up with this:
paddle.png

It is designed to be cut from a single 19x125x900mm jarrah plank from Bunnings.

Any feedback?

I'm happy to make the pattern available if anyone else would like to make one. You should be able to almost print the head on an A4 page to scale, then the handle on another.

Mardoo said:
Looks great! Yep, I'd love to get the pattern.
See attached. Sorry if the drawing isn't quite up to scratch - I've gotten pretty handy at modelling things, but I suck at laying out the actual drawings.

I've sliced up drawing into the handle and halves of the paddle blade. You should be able to print 1:1 on A4 paper, cut up the resulting sections and paste them to your plank. Then you just have to mark out the paddle stem yourself (two lines).

Online Brewing Supplies said:
It would be a great CNC router project , now all I have to do is work out how to use the router :huh:
You'd be able to churn them out with a CNC router. Any details on the router?

Les the Weizguy said:
Classy!

...but can't see the linked item on the Bunnings site
Yeah, Bunnings has individual product sets for every store. If your store doesn't stock that particular item, the links break. Either way, it is just a 19x125x900mm plank of wood.

Prince Imperial said:
Is that a shot of the one you made? It looks great & I assume you're an avid photographer too!
Haha, no. That is just a render from the CAD modelling software. I'm about to go and visit Bunnings now and give this a shot.

View attachment paddle.PDF

Top work mate. I am in need of a new one and a new project.

Pattern worked a treat. I managed to rough cut out the entire paddle using it as a guide. I used a jigsaw and spade bits. It might have been easier with a router. Now just a bucketload of sanding and it'll be done.
IMG_20141108_112947.jpgIMG_20141108_113000.jpgIMG_20141108_113009.jpgIMG_20141108_182729.jpgIMG_20141108_182809.jpg

you got some rough sizes on that paddle barneey or shoobs?? might draw one up tonight and put it through the cnc tomorrow

huez said:
you got some rough sizes on that paddle barneey or shoobs?? might draw one up tonight and put it through the cnc tomorrow
I can probably even get a step file or something if you need it. What software do you use for your router?

Do you rub the timber with oil or is that natural from use

shoobs said:
Pattern worked a treat. I managed to rough cut out the entire paddle using it as a guide. I used a jigsaw and spade bits. It might have been easier with a router. Now just a bucketload of sanding and it'll be done.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20141108_112947.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20141108_113000.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20141108_113009.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20141108_182729.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20141108_182809.jpg
A few too many months later, I managed to get some time to route the edges with a roundover bit and sand the paddle back. I'm not going to finish it with any oils or wax or varnish, but hopefully it darkens with age (maybe my next beer should be a porter?)

IMG_20150329_164645~2.jpg

Just be wary of the timbers you use and be sure that its not treated.
If you do want to rub it down with some kind of finish, just a good olive oil or linseed oil will do.
If you're worried about parasites or nasties in the timber, boil it for about an hour if you can.

But must say, that paddle looks the bomb.
I have a CNC router bed if your keen for production

Back