Mash Paddle Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarmBeer

Unhappy camper
Reaction score
Am planning on making my own (simple) mash paddle, as I don't think the Coopers spoon is going to cut it for any dough balls I encounter.

I'm after any feedback on the basic design below:
med_gallery_7239_412_8396.png

Will be using hardwood, untreated, about 20-25mm thick, depending on what's in the father-in-laws shed.

- Are there any advantages to drilling the holes in the paddle? Does it help break up and distribute the mash/dough?
- Does the type of wood make a difference? Obviously I don't want to be using anything that has been chemically treated.
- Anything else from wiser heads than mine?

well you could go down that route..... i considered the traditional wood approach then went to this
18/8 Stainless Steel
Blade: 235x120mm
750mm long
$15.75 + postage from food utelsils - http://www.foodutensils.com.au/mixing-padd...e7b2a8075faa31c

in answer to your question re holes. yeah it allows wort through etc making additional flow channels rather than just around the edge of the paddle. the other threads on mash paddles have heaps more info from blokes who have knocked up their own.

Am planning on making my own (simple) mash paddle, as I don't think the Coopers spoon is going to cut it for any dough balls I encounter.

I'm after any feedback on the basic design below:
med_gallery_7239_412_8396.png

Will be using hardwood, untreated, about 20-25mm thick, depending on what's in the father-in-laws shed.

- Are there any advantages to drilling the holes in the paddle? Does it help break up and distribute the mash/dough?
- Does the type of wood make a difference? Obviously I don't want to be using anything that has been chemically treated.
- Anything else from wiser heads than mine?

I'd make sure the hardwood you plan to use isn't going to leech tannins. e.g when you put in in to a pot of clean water make sure it doesn't add colour to the water.

Not all hardwood does this, best to check.

anything like tassie oak, irion bark, jarrah etc shouldnt leech. pretty sure just about every type of hardwood has been tested. including dowel (yes ok not a hardwood)

you could always give it a hot water 'treatement' first to test. ie drop it in boiling water a few times to get it used to it. basicly if you can make tough outdoor furniture with it you can make a paddle out of it. you want something to resist the absorbtion of water.

edit: thats the thread i was thinking of Batz. good work

Just have a go you seen my Jarrah model over the weekend

I didn't put wholes in it because
a. I couldn't be arsed
b. Didn't want to weaken it by chance and have to make another
c. did i say i couldn't be bothered

As long as it stirs and breaks up dow balls and doesn't snap in the mash tun it will be fine.

Just have a go you seen my Jarrah model over the weekend

I didn't put wholes in it because
a. I couldn't be arsed
b. Didn't want to weaken it by chance and have to make another
c. did i say i couldn't be bothered

As long as it stirs and breaks up dow balls and doesn't snap in the mash tun it will be fine.
Yup, was your "Keep it Simple" paddle inspired me, mate!

Edit: Am also a big follower of the church of "Can't be bothered"

I use a big wooden stirrer that came from Cedar Catering Supplies in Sydney Rd. I got it for free, but it was around $10 from memory. At that price - even retail, I couldn't be bothered making one.

Remember this from Oz and James Drink to Britain:

Mash_Stirrer.jpg

Since I saw this It got me thinking about making a curved pronged mash paddle to cut down on drag while stirring, when I've finished my current projects I'm going to give it a go.

I use a $2 plastic slotted spoon.

Works a treat as far as I can tell.

Making your own gear is fun though, so going on the advice above I'd have a go.

Have coopers spoon, have drill, have primitive mash paddle. Gorg happy.

I bought one of these in Stainless from Beerbelly and love it .
Handles dough balls with ease.
I think your design looks good but would contemplate making the holes bigger to give less resistance...

paddleblade_thumb.gif

DSCF0202.jpg

Not knocking those who have invested in a dedicated stainless steel mash paddle but I just use a bit of 60x25mm pine (the same stuff my school teacher used to spank me ;) when I was naughty) to move/breakup any dough balls. Simple but effective.

Underletting the mash also helps to reduce dough balls (reducing the need for a "mash paddle"

cheers

darren

I have a beerbelly mash weapon like woodmac but envy those who can craft a thing of beauty like that WarmBeer. Looks the goods. They sell paddles like that for about $40USD at morebeer. I have said it before and i will say it again, i am a handyman without the 'handy' bit.

:icon_offtopic: In line with my post above. I just saw the home handyman magazine thread and am a little frightened! It amy make me feel deficient and useless. Thank god for good retailers.

Gargamel... all you need now is a witches cauldron for a mash tun and some smurfs.lol

hmm this has given me an idea, just not sure about the leeching of tannins, but what about Willow, english willow, of the Gray nicholls variety. nevermind. happy enough with a SS version. just gets a bit bent outta shape from the pull shots in between stirring.

Latest posts

Back