Mash Master Mill Master Mini mill Bulk Buy.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I think about the geometry a bit more, just turning the mill upside down should do it. You will need to move the drill to line up with the shaft, but at least you can still use the triangular end of the shaft.

Yep, that’s what I did with mine, just flipped it over so the top side became the bottom. Since Mashmaster themselves recommend flipping the mill should your flutes ever dull, I don’t think there’s any issue at all with doing so.

I spoke to Frank at Mashmaster about this problem with using a drill and here is his reply. After turning the unit over "you can flip the end plate and swap the gear guard over and then you should be able to use the lock button and with the gear guard in place.

I do not recommend use of lock button unless you have wired the drill to a daft switch. I had a choice of setting the mill up for 1/2 shaft for motors on couplings using an industry standard shaft rotation direction I chose that over the drill drive as all drills have reverse".

Kind Regards

Frank Hemeter
MashMaster.com

Cheers
Breaky

Last edited:
If you are having issues with the Ozito Spade Handle Drill working properly with your MM, it may be because the "natural" way of attaching the drill means you have to run it in reverse. The drill does not like that - at all. It basically means that you are running the gearbox backwards, which makes the drill stick, reduces the torque, causes excessive wobble and makes the milling experience unpleasant. The trigger mechanism on the drill is designed such that you can't lock the trigger when running backwards and the maximum speed in reverse is also limited. If you are going in reverse, you are doing it wrong and the drill will let you know.

To get the best outcome from the drill, you will have to reconfigure the mill/drill such that the drill runs in forward mode. Simplest method is to turn the mill 180 degrees around and attach the drill to the keyed shaft, instead of the triangular shaft. Bad news is that because the shaft is not centered, the drill will have to shift along the side of the mill to line up with the shaft.

I'll have to have a closer look at the mill to see if it is possible to rearrange the rollers, but I don't think so. Just swapping the rollers would cause them to spin backwards, which won't work since the flutes are asymmetrical. It may work if the shaft can be removed from the roller and inserted in the opposite direction.
Good post, would be helpful for those about to set theirs up.

Explains why the MM logo was upside down in some setups.

I had already set mine up before this post, but it works fine in reverse on the Ozito. I don't use the Lock-On anyway as 6kg ish grain takes a couple of minutes.

20171118_183546-1612x1209.jpg
20171118_191814-1209x1612.jpg
MMplusfoodpail.jpg

I don't know, my Ozito spade bit drill (pictured earlier) runs pretty smoothly in reverse and the trigger locks, maybe I got a broken one?

Both myself and @pyroboy have had issues with the Ozito not being happy going backwards. We both purchased our drills from the same Bunnings store and they were probably from the same batch. Maybe there are some differences between batches. Mine is stamped with a 17/02 date code.

The problem with going in reverse is at low speeds and especially with the startup. If you crank up the speed or pull the trigger fast it's fine. Trying to get the drill to start turning slowly is easy in forward mode, but hard in reverse.

Such a beautiful crush :)
Gotto love Google Image. I bought some test grain and adjusted till it 'looked right'.
The result was an increased of 7% efficiency, which meant I had to water the wort down to keep it within style. Ended with 32L into the fermenter so the holidays are sorted.

Yep, I've noticed a marked improvement in efficiency in the past year since using this mill. Between 5 and10% over my old mill or shop milled grains.
The eff also stays fairly consistent now as well.

Plus my sparges are gold, especially cramming in 9 kgs of grain into my grain fathers each time.

Love this mill...

What gap size do you guys have? I used my new mill for the first time this weekend and my efficiency was a little less than with my old mill. Sparge was a bit on the fast side as well, so that tells me I can crush finer. Would be interested in a number that I can use for next brew day and then I can tweak from there.

Lacking feeler gauges I did credit card thickness minus one notch on the adjustment wheel. Well, Myki card, for Melbournistas.

Regarding sparge speed I just choke at the outlet valve. If I opened the valve all the way my mashtun would get a case of the runs. Offs.

Thanks for the the bulk buy MJ and also all the great posts here on the set up. I finally got around to drilling and jigsawing an old IKEA bamboo chopping board and attaching the mill to it.

Well, my cheapie cordless drill didn't have the torque to turn the rollers when the hopper had grain in it.

Swapped over to my AEG corded drill that was designed for high speed, high torque applications. It milled the grain but struggled at the low speeds as well. The high speeds did mill the grain, but ripped through the husk. The drill motor didn't like it either, touch of smoke came out and I could smell it burning.

So off to Bunnings I go for the Ozito Spade Handle Drill specifically designed for low speed/high torque. At least I'm not going to burn out my other drill!

Thanks for the the bulk buy MJ and also all the great posts here on the set up. I finally got around to drilling and jigsawing an old IKEA bamboo chopping board and attaching the mill to it.

Well, my cheapie cordless drill didn't have the torque to turn the rollers when the hopper had grain in it.

Swapped over to my AEG corded drill that was designed for high speed, high torque applications. It milled the grain but struggled at the low speeds as well. The high speeds did mill the grain, but ripped through the husk. The drill motor didn't like it either, touch of smoke came out and I could smell it burning.

So off to Bunnings I go for the Ozito Spade Handle Drill specifically designed for low speed/high torque. At least I'm not going to burn out my other drill!
Some members had trouble with the Ozito going in reverse, you might want to set your hopper the other way round so the drill is going in normal mode. Basically the MM logo would be upside down on the mill when everything is setup.

If you are worried about the aesthetics, it's easy enough to turn the side plate with the logo 180 degrees so that it faces the right way up. Just a few more screws to undo, flip the plate and it's done.

Also, if you are flipping the mill upside down so that you can run the drill in forward mode, don't forget to unscrew the gear guard and attach it such that it is at the top of the mill. That way it protects the gears from grains, instead of collecting them.

Thanks chaps. I set my MM mill up upside down in the first place (just made sense to run a drill in fwd rather than reverse) and that thinking was validated when I read this thread later.

Will look at that gear guard, cheers for that. I think I put it the right way up during assembly, but will check. Don’t mind the logo upside down at all

Just to be clear, I am talking about the gear guard in the mill itself, not the one in the hopper assembly. The one in the mill is pre-installed, whereas the hopper guard is the one you assemble yourself.

Anyone have the model number of the ozito multi mixer. The one they have at bunnings doesn't have the chuck head.

Anyone have the model number of the ozito multi mixer. The one they have at bunnings doesn't have the chuck head.
I also bought the wrong one. When I went back they had to get the lift and grab one off the top of the shelves.

Thanks Earle. I told them that's the one I wanted but without the model number he said he couldn't get it in for me. Now have to wait until Friday.

Latest posts

Back