Mash Efficiency Study (batch)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your "normal" mash efficiency (batch)?

• batch 95-99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • batch 90-94

• batch 85-89

• batch 80-84

• batch 75-79

• batch 70-74

• batch 65-69

• batch 60-64

• batch 55-59

• Total voters

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
This is not a competition it is a study conducted by the university of melbourne brewers.

See also sister fly poll. It has been split because there is a limitation on the number of questions in a single poll.

Please try to resist the urge to vote if you haven't mashed enough times to have settled onto a consistent brewhouse efficiency for your regular brew. Lets say you have got the same figure +/- 2% in 3 brews. You also should have measured these figures, not just guessed.

I want to attempt to answer the questions:
- What kind of efficiency distribution do homebrewers get?
- Is there a difference in efficiency between batch and fly sparge?
- How popular is batch sparging.

I am not including losses in the kettle, looking purely at what percentage of sugars as a percentage of the malt bill specs you are getting into the kettle in the first place.

It depends! A lighter beer in my largish tun I add a mashout and then drain once. On that basis about 75%. But for average to strong beers, with 2 batch sparges, consistently 84%.

Consistant 75 to 77%...batch sparging...

I've spent a lot of time getting consistency - especially of temperatures - through the sparge.
It seems to have been my biggest issue as I now hit close to 80% regularly. (Responded 75-79%)

I batch sparge, but I'm not going to vote, as I only boil in a 10L pot, so i am limited to how much I can sparge. My efficiency is around 60%, but if I could keep sparging until the wort dropped to 1.010, it would be a lot higher.

- Snow

75-77% for me

I am afraid the 95%ers are either doing their calcuations wrong or telling a little fib :blink:

Batz

70%-75% for me. I've been hitting this for the past couple of years. I know what I can expect each brew so I don't bother and get anything higher because I like the reproducability.

Cheers
MAH

I hit between 72-75% each brew, basically dependant on how quickly I drain my tun. This consistency allows me pretty good flexibilty with recipes etc. so I'm happy with it.

Shawn.

I have only done 5AGs so I did not vote [I was tempted because I could :unsure: ] because the first 3 were very basic and I stumbled around doing it from a book, and it was not untill the last two that I felt my process was ok.
I have a new mash tun ready to run, Yeah :lol: .

70%-74% for me.

I use 73% for recipe formulation. With anything but Powell's I am consistently 73%-74% but for the brews I adjust water salts and mash pH, I lift to about 76%-77%.

Who got 90%-94%?

Steve

Mines been floating around 64%-67% for a while(Ph correct and salts added). I only batch sparge once. I havnt tried doing it twice yet but mite give it a go. I get good results in flavor though.

You need to make sure you weigh your grain very accurately to calculate efficiency. 10% out and your efficiency will be 10% out

75-77% for a 23 litre batch and up to 88% for a 40 litre batch.

Beers,
Doc

Back