Marstons Pedigree Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There

Have anyone tried Marstons Pedigree Bitter? Any good?

Also does anyone know where to get it in Sydney? I'd like to try a bottle.

Cheers,
Jase

Hi Jase,
This beer is found almost everwhere, i can't help with exactly where in sydney but it will be somewhere. As far as the beer its not only very good but one of the best beers of the style i have tried.
In adelaide it can be found in even some of the not so good bottle shops, i recomend only buying from a shop dedicated to suppling good imported beer with a good turn around, You pay $9 for a 500ml bottle and the only way i think to insure your getting close to what your paying for is to find a shop that sells a lot of these beers and looks after them.
They have dates on the bottle so check that to start with.
In Adelaide we have one shop that really does deliever good english beer fresh as could possibly be expected and i pressume sydney would be no different if not better.

Jayse

I second what Jayse said above.

I did prefer the Marston Single Malt beer but it is no longer available :(

Jovial Monk

They usually have it at Amatos, in Leichhardt, and Camperdown Cellars parramatta rd.

i think this is one of those beers that might have been a classic once upon a time but is now pretty low on flavour (but Michael Jackson still gives it four stars?). very drinkable though. but flavours are on the "subtle" side...

neonmeate said:
very drinkable though. but flavours are on the "subtle" side...
I'll agree with this totally as with many other great beers. Some brewers expections are a little higher than what they should be, it is what it is and what it is, is great!
There plenty of other beers out and about that are the same , it think to many brewers expections are far to great, another beer i have had to argue its merit lately has been grand ridge gippsland gold. While not the most flavour full spectacular beer around for what it is i think the beer is un'freak'en believable.
Balance and drinkabilty are more important in 'most' beers, ussually i prefer these two things in beer more so than it having just a huge flavour alone.
With that in mind i think you can have a awesome beer but still it would be realitvely tame on the senses' as compared with what you and i have on tap anyway.
Sorry maybe iam just rambling!

Jayse

i'm with jayse, with all those 'sublte' malt , oaky and hop flavour its a great beer.

If you think the bottled form is good, you need to try the cask-conditioned real ale form in a pub where the cellerman really knows how to get the best from Pedigree (and has the space to do it). Such places are few and far between (Pedigree behaves like no other beer in the cellar), but the end result is an order of magnitude better than the bottled version.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
....and of course we are all familiar with the Marston Union method of fermentation.
I assume you mean Burton Union (though Marstons are the only people still with working Union rooms). Not all the Pedigree is fermented in the Union sets, most is fermented in square fermenters, but all the yeast comes from them and (according to Marstons) the yeast changes quite dramatically if it's not sourced directly from them. So forget reproducing a Mastons beer unless you have access to pitchable quantities of yeast directly from a Union set.

Back