marris otter low colour with simcoe / apollo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
looking to give this bag of marris otter low color a go with some hops I haven't tried yet but have on hand.

the idea is to get the most out of the low color but malt flavor by mashing high, and getting a balance of the two hops.

I've got 100g of simcoe but 300g of apollo to work with for a 50L batch (have a 100L kettle). So I'd rather get the bittering duties getting done with apollo while using both for flavor/aroma.

unsure about the balance between the two hops for the late additions, with only 100g of simcoe, is it better to just dump the whole 100g into the dry hop and let the apollo do all the bittering/whirlpool?

thoughts?

full

With those hops I would be doing the following:

Apollo - FWH to get 25ibu

Then Whirlpool a even 50/50 split using 50g each

The dry hop the same 50/50 split using 50g each

Not sure why your only boiling for 30mins, if you havent done the reading the longer the boil the better.

60mins should be your minimum

thanks Dan. the short boil was a school night brewing thing, ended up going longer :) for shorter boils I always do a starch conversion test.

your message came in after I had whirlpooled, but will split the hops 50/50 for the dry hop. thanks,

probably should have put a little bit of wheat in there for head retention without impacting the very light colour of the malt but oh well, no biggie I think.

Latest posts

Back