Marmalade In Witbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonmeate

hello
Reaction score
I seem to recall randy mosher recommending marmalade as the way of getting citrus into witbier, as the pectin helps to haze it up. I can't remember who I lent my copy of radical brewing to and I can't look it up - could anyone tell me the amount he advises? or if you have used marmalade in a wit what was it like?

I have some of my own homemade marmalade to use which is very bitter indeed, made from all seville and blood oranges.

2.0 T (which I assume is tablespoons) 0r 28g @ 5 mins in a 19 litre final volume batch. Also recommends addition of white flour (60 mins, 14g) and coriander and GOP.

2.0 T (which I assume is tablespoons) 0r 28g @ 5 mins in a 19 litre final volume batch. Also recommends addition of white flour (60 mins, 14g) and coriander and GOP.

I brewed a belgian pale of sorts last week (experimenting a bit really) and added fresh orange peel at 5 minutes. I looked at the marmalade in the fridge as I was taking out the oranges to peel them and thought ...mmm... I wonder....
It seems I wasn't too far off !

thanks manticle - mr citrus himself to the rescue. then that is what i will do.

Got the whole recipe? That looks like something that I could just about manage using malt extracts.

Extract recipe + minimash from Mosher's radical brewing (well worth owning):

Nit wit strong wit

2.3 kg (48%) wheat extract
1.8 kg (38%) pale dry matl extract
0.45 kg (13%) pale crystal grain
227g instant oatmeal, precooked
113g rice hulls

14g white flour @60
28g styrian goldings (5.5% aa) @60
21g stryrian @5
14g saaz (3%) @5
28g marmalade @5
28 coriander seed, crushed @5
1g grains of paradise @5

AG - 47% pilsner
33% wheat malt
13% vienna.
Everything else as is.

May i ask what is the story with the flour.

Regards,
Shane

According to Mosher, it's a deliberate way of adding starch haze. Strikes me as something I'd rather not do but I'd defer to his experience rather than mine.

How do you add the crystal? I've never done a partial.

[post="0"]Post #8[/post]

Cheers Manticle, good to know.

Back