Marks Home Brew confirmed to stay open then sold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr Wibble said:
Still waiting on my order from May 20.
Still waiting on one from April here, it's delivery though.

No response to e-mails, haven't tried that new number - to be honest it seems kinda wrong to call a number third hand but may as well chase it up and try to organise a refund.

He's not open on Mondays.
Phone works for me. Still waiting on an order from early May.

I can't speak for Mark. It's not my shop. He needs to run his own show.

SnakeDoctor said:
Still waiting on one from April here, it's delivery though.

No response to e-mails, haven't tried that new number - to be honest it seems kinda wrong to call a number third hand but may as well chase it up and try to organise a refund.
Same here. Spoke to him once on the phone a couple weeks after placing the order and he said he would send me his bank details for a direct deposit and the shipping quote when he has a moment. That was a month ago and I've heard nothing despite a sending a couple email reminders.

I've only been in the shop once a I'm not local but he is obviously passionate and knowledgeable about brewing. I get the feeling that the pressures of small businesses are getting to him. I hope things work out ok.

I just gave him a call on the new number. He advised that he is waiting for stock which should arrive this week sometime, although he didn't fill me with confidence.

It might be time to invest in a malt mill, buy sacks of base malt and order hops and specialty grains from craftbrewer! I'm having brewing withdrawals!

In all seriousness, I do hope he gets back on his feet soon.

Emailed 2 weeks back requesting price on 50lt braumeister sent to NZ
No response
Done a lot of business over the years, somethings obviously not good

Reading through the negative posts regarding lack of communication, it unfortunately, and without prejudice appears to have the classic signs of a business in its death throes, I hope I am wrong and Mark can get back on track but just looking at the membership of AHB would be a good indicator of how many home brewers there are on this vast island continent coupled with how many home brew stores there are competing for business (not including overseas purchases) to so few home brewers.
It is a stark reminder of not letting your heart rule your head when starting a business from a well loved hobby.

Surely his reading all these though, his still posting in other area's on AHB.

Perhaps AHB is only a small portion of his customers and he don't give a rats.

booargy said:
Perhaps AHB is only a small portion of his customers and he don't give a rats.
I don't think AHB is the centre of his world at the moment

I dropped by the store this morning and it was closed. No sign indicating any reason why, and the 4040 number had a message from a female - she may have been a hot blonde but she didn't sound like she had any personal interest in Mark.

aldee said:
Emailed 2 weeks back requesting price on 50lt braumeister sent to NZ
No response
Done a lot of business over the years, somethings obviously not good
I went through a similar exercise some 18 months ago with responses of I will get back to you......and so on.
The best decision I ever made was to use one of our main site sponsors to order my BM and have it delivered directly to me from Speidel with no extra costs for transport.

Thank you once again, Ross.

My feeling is that common courtesy should come into play here where by potential customers should be advised if supply wont be forthcoming, rather than just leaving customers wondering what is happening.
A simple "I am sorry but I cant help you at the moment" would be fine.
Mark has been a great contributor on this site and from what I have been told, he is extremely helpful with clients personally.
Even though he let me down on a few occasions, I do wish him well, and only hope all is OK long term with himself and his business.

labrooy said:
I dropped by the store this morning and it was closed. No sign indicating any reason why, and the 4040 number had a message from a female - she may have been a hot blonde but she didn't sound like she had any personal interest in Mark.

my mate was at the store yesterday picking up my grain. i think early arvo

My feeling is that common courtesy should come into play here where by potential customers should be advised if supply wont be forthcoming, rather than just leaving customers wondering what is happening.
A simple "I am sorry but I cant help you at the moment" would be fine.
Mark has been a great contributor on this site and from what I have been told, he is extremely helpful with clients personally.

100% Dicko, a business runs on good communication with clients, Mark will know that, so there seems to be something gravely amiss.

labrooy said:
I think that must be his message bank. I got it before 10 this morning, but he picked up after 10. Says he just got his internet back (hence no emails) and a tonne of malt yesterday.

Ahh good news. I hope Mark gets through this tough period. I value his knowledge, he is helpful and he stores his product such that it stays in optimum condition, he has a great range at good prices.
Whereas I dropped into our other LHBS and asked if he had Sorachi Ace.... stunned mullet, "never heard of it".

As an overall happy customer of Marks, I believe his prices are actually too low. Its great for us in the short term but its obviously having an impact on his ability to maintain stock at times.

Even if he raised his prices equal to the rest of the market, his excellent ordering and packaging service would be head and shoulders above the his competition.

Just my (uninformed) opinion.

Agreed. His commercial advantage is that he's in an area with a lot of home brewers and could charge a bit more for the convenience of having a comprehensive shop front supplier in the area. If the business were to close we would have to rely on getting supplies couriered from QLD or Sydney and pay even more in the long run.

I've had no conformation emails to my last 3 brew builder orders ($150 worth) I rang 2 weeks ago on the new number and was told in a few days he'll have my order sorted. Still waiting. I've been patient. But it's now time to move on to another shop.

Latest posts

Back